Performance Analysis of Wireless LANs with a Backoff Freezing Mechanism
In this paper, we propose an accurate analytical model of IEEE 802.11 DCF WLANs with a backoff freezing mechanism. In order to analyze the DCF with the backoff freezing mechanism, we model the backoff process of a station with a Markov chain. The proposed Markov chain models three different types of the backoff operations: choosing a new backoff counter, freezing the backoff counter, and decrementing the backoff counter. The proposed analytical model also considers the three different types of the previous channel status: idle, busy due to a collision, and busy due to a successful transmission. Considering the backoff freezing mechanism in the proposed model affects the performance measures such as throughput. The analytical and simulation results show that the proposed analytical model is very accurate with the backoff freezing mechanism.
KeywordsIEEE 802.11 wireless local area network (WLAN) distributed coordination function (DCF)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specification. ANSI/IEEE Std 802.11, 1999 Edition (R2003) (June 2003)Google Scholar
- 2.IEEE 802.11a, Part 11: Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications: High-Speed Physical Layer in the 5 GHz Band. IEEE Std 802.11a-1999 (December 1999)Google Scholar
- 3.IEEE 802.11g, Part 11: Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications: Further Higher Data Rate Extension in the 2.4 GHz Band. IEEE Std 802.11g-2003 (June 2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Wu, H., Peng, Y., Long, K., Cheng, S., Ma, J.: Performance of reliable transport protocol over IEEE 802.11 wireless LAN: analysis and enhancement. In: Proc. IEEE INFOCOM, pp. 599–607 (June 2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Chatzimisios, P., Boucouvalas, A.C., Vitsas, V.: IEEE 802.11 packet delay - a finite retry limit analysis. In: Proc. IEEE Globecom, pp. 950–954 (December 2003)Google Scholar