Novel Modifications in WSN Network Design for Improved SNR and Reliability
The chapter addresses the issue of Wireless Sensor Network planning (in fact - well applicable to any mesh network design) for achieving a network structure of minimized intra-network interference and reliability. The former feature can be attained by means of directional antennas, which - in combination with a planar topology - leads to a considerable increase in the average SNIR level. The latter feature is to provide a structure of sensor nodes resistant to single-node failures, deployed with the minimum-pathloss criterion for better radio performance.
KeywordsWireless Sensor Network Medium Access Control Mesh Network Receive Signal Strength Indicator Directional Antenna
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Stojmenovič: Handbook of Sensor Networks - Algorithms and Architectures. Wiley and Sons, Ottawa (2004)Google Scholar
- IEEE, IEEE Std 802.15.4-2006, Part 15.4: Wireless Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) Specifications for Low-Rate Wireless Personal Area networks (WP ANs)Google Scholar
- Debita, G., Staniec, K.: Reliable mesh network planning with minimization of intra-system interference. In: Proc. of Broadband Communication, Information Technology & Biomedical Applications, BROADBANDCOM 2009, Wroclaw, Poland, July 15-18, pp. 243–244 (2009)Google Scholar
- Xu, W., Trappe, W., Zhang, Y.: Defending Wireless Sensor Networks from Radio Interference through Channel Adaptation. Proceedings of ACM Trans. on Sensor Network 4(4), article 18, 18.1–18.34 (2008)Google Scholar
- Vakil, S., Liang, B.: Balancing cooperation and interference in wireless sensor networks. In: Proceedings of 3rd IEEE Annual IEEE Communications Society Conference on Sensor, Mesh and Ad Hoc Communications and Networks (SECON), vol. 1, pp. 198–206 (2006)Google Scholar
- Staniec, K., Debita, G.: Interference mitigation in WSN by means of directional antennas and duty cycle control. In: Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing; doi: 10.1002/wcm.1089 Google Scholar
- Staniec, K., Debita, G.: Methodology of the wireless networks planning in mesh topology. In: Proc. Third International Conference on Dependability of Computer Systems, DepCos-RELCOMEX 2008, Szklarska Poreba, Poland, June 26-28, pp. 375–382 (2008)Google Scholar
- CEPT, ERC Recommendation 70-03 Relating to the Use of Short Range Devices (SRD), Annex 1: Non-specific Short Range Devices. Version of (October 16, 2009)Google Scholar