Surveillance of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles Using Probability Collectives
A rising deployment of unmanned aerial vehicles in complex environment operations requires advanced coordination and planning methods. We address the problem of multi-UAV-based area surveillance and collision avoidance. The surveillance problem contains non-linear components and non-linear constraints which makes the optimization problem a hard one. We propose discretization of the problem based on the definition of the points of interest and time steps to reduce its complexity. The objective function integrates both the area surveillance and collision avoidance sub-problems. The optimization task is solved using a probability collection solver that allows to distribute computation of the optimization. We have implemented the probability collective solver as a multi-agent simulation. The results show the approach can be used for this problem.
KeywordsSurveillance Collision Avoidance Probability Collectives Multi-Agent Systems
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bieniawski, S.R.: Distributed optimization and flight control using collectives. Dissertation Stanford University (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Caffarelli, L., Crespi, V., Cybenko, G., Gamba, I., Rus, D.: Stochastic Distributed Algorithms for Target Surveillance. Intelligent Systems Design and Applications, 137 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Lee, C.F., Wolpert, D.H.: Product distribution theory for control of multi-agent systems. In: AAMAS 2004: Proceedings of the Third International Joint Conference on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems, pp. 522–529. IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC, USA (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Nigam, N., Kroo, I.: Persistent Surveillance Using Multiple Unmanned Air Vehicles. In: 2008 IEEE Aerospace Conference, pp. 1–14 (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Savla, K.: Multi UAV Systems with Motion and Communication Constraints. PhD thesis, University of California (2007)Google Scholar
- 13.Schutte, J., Greonwold, A.: Optimal sizing design of truss structures using the particle swarm optimization algorithm. In: 9th AIAA/ISSMO Symposium on Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization, pp. 2002–5639. AIAA (September 2002)Google Scholar
- 16.Wolpert, D.H., Bieniawski, S.: Distributed control by lagrangian steepest descent. In: 43th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (December 2004)Google Scholar