Next Best Step and Expert Recommendation for Collaborative Processes in IT Service Management
IT service management processes are people intensive and collaborative by nature. There is an emerging trend in IT service management applications, moving away from rigid process orchestration to the leveraging of collaboration technologies. An interesting consequence is that staff can collaboratively define customized and ad-hoc step flows, consisting of the sequence of activities necessary to handle each particular case. Capturing and sharing the knowledge of how previous similar cases have been resolved becomes useful in recommending what steps to take and what experts to consult to handle a new case effectively. We present an approach and a tool that analyzes previous IT case resolutions in order to recommend the best next steps to handle a new case, including recommendations on the experts to invite to help with resolution of the case. Our early evaluation results indicate that this approach shows significant improvement for making recommendations over using only process models discovered from log traces.
KeywordsBest practice processes Collaborative and Conversational Process Definition and Enactment Step Recommendation Expert Recommendation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Motahari-Nezhad, H.R., Bartolini, C., Graupner, S., Singhal, S., Spence, S.: IT Support Conversation Manager: A Conversation- Centered Approach and Tool for Managing Best Practice IT Processes. In: The Proc. of 14th IEEE EDOC (EDOC 2010) (October 25-29, 2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Motahari-Nezhad, H.R., Saint-Paul, R., Benatallah, B., Casati, F.: Protocol Discovery from Imperfect Service Interaction Logs. In: ICDE 2007, pp. 1405–1409 (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Shao, Q., Chen, Y., Tao, S., Yan, X., Anerousis, N.: Efficient ticket routing by resolution sequence mining. In: KDD 2008, pp. 605–613 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Miao, G., Moser, L., Yan, X., Tao, S., Chen, Y., Anerousis, N.: Generative Models for Ticket Resolution in Expert Networks. In: Proceedings KDD 2010 (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Kang, Y.-B., Zaslavsky, A.B., Krishnaswamy, S., Bartolini, C.: A knowledge-rich similarity measure for improving IT incident resolution process. In: SAC 2010, pp. 1781–1788 (2010)Google Scholar
- 14.HP BTO Software, HP Service Manager, http://www.managementsoftware.hp.com
- 15.Lakshmanan, G.T., Duan, S., Keyser, P.T., Curbera, F., Khalaf, R.: A Heuristic Approach for Making Predictions for Semi-Structured Case Oriented Business Processes. Business Process Management Workshops, pp.640–651 (2010)Google Scholar