Review of Institutions and Economic Growth Empirical Research
To study further the relationship between institutions and economic growth, this paper reviewed the existing empirical researches in this area. These empirical literatures have provided compelling evidence for a causal link between a cluster of “good” institutions and more rapid long run economic growth. However, many questions would limit further research, such as coarseness of quantitative institutions, defects of instrumental variables and so on. Derived through two simple models, these questions could be proved. Finally, it gives three improved suggestions to the sample of study in China. These suggestions can help researchers understand better how economic growth arises in response to institution changing in China.
KeywordsInstitutions Economic Growth Instrumental Variables
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 11.Jones, B.F., Olken, B.A.: Do Leaders Matter? National Leadership and Growth Since World War II. Quarterly Journal of Economics 120, 835–864 (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Shaw, P., Katsaiti, M.S., Jurgilas, M.: Corruption and Growth under Weak Identification. NBER Working Paper (2007)Google Scholar
- 14.Persson, T., Tabellini, G.: Democratic Capital: the Nexus of Political and Economic Change. American Economic Journal 1, 88–126 (2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Jin, Y.: The Contribution of Macro-institutional Changes to Growth in Economy Transformation Period of China. Finance and Economics, 24–28 (2001) (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 16.Wang, W., Chen, C., Xu, H.: An Empirical Analysis on China’s Economic Growth Model Containing International Factors. Modern Economic Science 2, 33–37 (2002) (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 17.Shen, K., Fu, W.: The Relationship between China’s Decentralized System in Finance and Regional Economic Growth. Management World, 31–39 (2005) (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 18.Xu, X., Li, X.: Endogenous Institutions and Provincial Disparity in China. China Economic Quarterly s1, 81–100 (2005) (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 19.Liu, W., Gao, W., Zhang, S.: The Measurement of Institutional Transition and China’s Economic Growth: An Empirical Analysis Based on the Data of China During the Period of 1952-2006. Economist 6, 48–55 (2008) (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 20.Fang, Y., Zhao, Y.: In Search of Instruments for Institutions: Estimating the Impact of Institutions on Chinese Economic Performance (2008) (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 21.Li, Y., Han, Y.: Institutional Change and China’s Economic Growth. Research on Economics and Management 6, 26–33 (2009) (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 22.Wang, L., Liu, H.: Endogenous Institutions, Government Efficiency and Economic Growth: A Category Test. Economists 1, 20–26 (2010) (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 24.Albouy, D.Y.: The Colonial Origins of Comparative Development: An Investigation of the Settler Mortality Data, NBER (2008)Google Scholar