Compound Mutual Subspace Method for 3D Object Recognition: A Theoretical Extension of Mutual Subspace Method
In this paper, we propose the Compound Mutual Subspace Method (CPMSM) as a theoretical extension of the Mutual Subspace Method, which can efficiently handle multiple sets of patterns by representing them as subspaces. The proposed method is based on the observation that there are two types of subspace perturbations. One type is due to variations within a class and is therefore defined as “within-class subspace”. The other type, named “between-class subspace”, is characterized by differences between two classes. Our key idea for CPMSM is to suppress within-class subspace perturbations while emphasizing between-class subspace perturbations in measuring the similarity between two subspaces. The validity of CPMSM is demonstrated through an evaluation experiment using face images from the public database VidTIMIT.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yamaguchi, O., Fukui, K., Maeda, K.: Face recognition using temporal image sequence. In: Proc. 3rd. Int. Conf. on Face & Gesture Recognition, pp. 318–323 (1998)Google Scholar
- 3.Faggian, N., Paplinski, A., Chin, T.-J.: Face Recognition From Video using Active Appearance Model Segmentation. In: 18th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, vol. 1, pp. 287–290 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Watanabe, S., Pakvasa, N.: Subspace method of pattern recognition. In: Proc. 1st. Int. J. Conf. on Pattern Recognition (1973)Google Scholar
- 6.Li, X., Fukui, K., Zheng, N.: Boosting constrained mutual subspace method for robust image-set based object recognition. In: Proc. 21st. Int. Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 1132–1137 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Sakano, H., Mukawa, N.: Kernel Mutual Subspace Method for Robust Facial Image Recognition. In: Proc. 4th. Int. Conf. Knowledge-Based Intelligent Engineering Systems and Allied Technologies, vol. 1, pp. 245–248 (2000)Google Scholar
- 13.Kawahara, T., Nishiyama, M., Kozakaya, T., Yamaguchi, O.: Face Recognition based on Whitening Transformation of Distribution of Subspaces. In: Workshop on ACCV2007, Subspac 2007, pp. 97–103 (2007)Google Scholar
- 14.Phillips, P., Scruggs, W., OfTools, A., Flynn, P., Bowyer, K., Schott, C., Sharpe, M.: FRVT 2006 and ICE 2006 Large-Scale Results. Technical Report NISTIR 7408, NIST (2007)Google Scholar
- 16.Fukui, K., Yamaguchi, O.: Face Recognition Using Multi-viewpoint Patterns for Robot Vision. Robotics Research 15, 192–201 (2005)Google Scholar
- 17.Sanderson, C.: Biometric Person Recognition: Face, Speech and Fusion. VDM-Verlag (2008)Google Scholar
- 20.Basri, R., Jacobs, D.: Lambertian Reflectance and Linear Subspaces. IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 218–233 (2003)Google Scholar