Data Modeling Technique Made Easy with Hybrid Learning Computer Aided Instruction
Although hybrid learning has been adopted in higher education for a decade, it is still a challenge to build a satisfactory Computer Aided Instruction (CAI) on Internet. Not only it is difficult to guide users through the operations of CAI, but also it is hard to measure the learning effectiveness. This paper presents an effective method of using a set of CAI steps to demonstrate hybrid learning on data modeling technique. A constructivist theory is applied for users to go through the CAI steps. The result is a CAI for teaching and learning data modeling techniques. A case study of designing a hospital patient system is used for illustration. Its merit is the effective application of interactivity in teaching and learning data modeling techniques in designing an extended entity relationship model.
Keywordshybrid learning constructivist theory computer aided instruction data modeling technique
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Thomas, M.: Constructivism and the Technology of Instruction (a conversation). Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale (1992)Google Scholar
- 4.Chalmers, D., Fuller, R.: Teaching for learning at university: Theory and practice. Edith Cowan University, Perth (1995)Google Scholar
- 5.Sage, S., Torp, L.: What does it take to become a teacher of problem-based learning? Journal of Staff Development 18, 32–36 (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.eLearning.com: http://elearners.com/ (Accessed October 4, 2001)
- 7.ANSDIT: American National Standard Dictionary of Information Technology (2002), http://www.ncits.org/tc_home/k5htm/Ansdit.htm
- 8.Gonzalez, A.J., Dankel, D.D.: The Engineering of Knowledge-based Systems: Theory and Practice. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1993)Google Scholar
- 9.Bickford, P.: Interface design: the art of development easy-to-use Software. Academic Press Ltd., London (1997)Google Scholar
- 10.Elmasri, R., Navathe, S.B.: Fundamentals of Database Systems, 2nd edn. The Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Company, Inc., (1994)Google Scholar