Tumor Detection in Brain Magnetic Resonance Images Using Modified Thresholding Techniques
Automated computerized image segmentation is very important for clinical research and diagnosis. The paper deals with two segmentation schemes namely Modified Fuzzy thresholding and Modified minimum error thresholding. The method includes the extraction of tumor along with suspected tumorized region which is followed by the morphological operation to remove the unwanted tissues. The performance measure of various segmentation schemes are comparatively analyzed based on segmentation efficiency and correspondence ratio. The automated method for segmentation of brain tumor tissue provides comparable accuracy to those of manual segmentation.
KeywordsSegmentation Magnetic resonance Imaging Thresholding
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Gonzalez, R.C., Woods, R.E.: Digital Image Processing, 2nd edn. Pearson Education, London (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Illingworth, J., Kittler, J.: Threshold Selection based on a simple image statistic. Computer Vision, Graphics, and Image Processing 30, 125-147 (1985)Google Scholar
- 8.Yan, H., Zhu, Y.: Computerized Tumor Boundary Detection Using a Hopfield Neural Network. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging 16(1) (1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Gauthier, D., Wu, K., Levine, M.D.: Live Cell Image Segmentation. IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering 42(1) (January 1995)Google Scholar
- 10.Calvard, S., Ridler, T.: Picture thresholding using an iterative selection method. IEEE Trans. Systems Man Cybernet. SMC-8, 630–632 (November 1978)Google Scholar
- 12.Ostu, N.: A threshold selection method from gray level histogram. IEEE Trans. System Man Cybernet. SMC-8, 62–66 (1978)Google Scholar
- 14.Illingworth, J., Kittler: Minimum Error thresholding. Pattern Recognition, 19(1), 41–47 (1985)Google Scholar
- 17.Mendelsohn, M.L., Prewitt, J.M.S.: The analysis of cell images. Ann. N. Y. Acad. Sci. 128, 1035–1053 (1966)Google Scholar
- 18.Goldgof, D.B., Hall, L.O., Fletcher-Heath, L.M., Murtagh, F.R.: Automatic Segmentation of non-enhancing brain tumors in magnetic resonance images. Artificial Intelligence in Medicine 21, 43–63 (2001)Google Scholar
- 20.Pradhan, N., Sinha, A.K.: Development of a composite feature vector for the detection of pathological and healthy tissues in FLAIR MR images of brain. ICGST-BIME Journal 10(1) (December 2010)Google Scholar