A Novel Approach to Represent Detected Point Mutation
Research in point mutation is ubiquitous in the field of bioinformatics since it is critical for evolutionary studies and disease identication. With the exponential growth of gene bank size, the need to intelligibly capture, manage and analyse the ever-increasing amount of publicly available genomic data became one of the major challenges faced by bioinformaticians today.The paper proposes a new method to represent point mutation by effectively reclassifying the DNA sequences on the basis of occurence of point mutation to form a mutation hierarchy which considerably reduces the memory space requirement for storage and heavily reduces the complexity in data mining.
KeywordsPoint mutation Data warehousing Data mining
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Nollau, P., Wagener, C.: Methods for detection of point mutations:Performance and quality assessment. Clinical Chemistry 43(7) (1997)Google Scholar
- 2.GBParsy: A GenBank flatfile parser library with high speed (2008), http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2105/9/321
- 3.Sheng, C., Hsu, W., Lee, M.L., Tong, J.C., Ng, S.-K.: Mining mutation chains in biological sequences. In: 2010 IEEE 26th International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE 2010), pp. 473–484 (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Ji, M., Tang, H., Guo, J.: A single-point mutation evolutionary programming. Information Processing Letters 90(6) (June 30, 2004) Google Scholar
- 5.Binder, A.: Methods of Detection of Single Point Mutations (1997), http://www.kfunigraz.ac.at/~binder/thesis/node63.html
- 6.Akhurst, T.J.: The Role of Parallel Computing in bioinformatics. Research Report (January 2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Sinha, P.K.: Distributed Operating Systems, pp. 398–414. PHI Learning Private Limited (2009)Google Scholar
- 8.Sickle Cell: Sickle Cell Anemia: Example of a Point Mutation (2010), http://www.tamu.edu/faculty/magill/gene603/PDF%20versions/Sickle%20Cell.pdf
- 9.Lee, L.C., Horn, F., Cohen, F.E.: Automatic Extraction of Protein Point Mutations Using a Graph Bigram Association. PLoS Comput. Biol. 3(2), e16 (2007), doi:10.1371/journal.pcbi.0030016,2007Google Scholar
- 10.Wu, L., Ling, Y., Yang, A., Wang, S.: Detection DNA point mutation with rolling-circle amplification chip. IEEE, Los Alamitos (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Amdahl’s Law (1992), http://home.wlu.edu/~whaleyt/classes/parallel/topics/amdahl.html