Impact of Node Density on Node Connectivity in MANET Routing Protocols
The functioning of routing protocols in Mobile Ad-hoc Networks depends on factors like node mobility, node failure, broken paths, node connectivity and node density. These factors make the network dynamic. Due to the change in node connectivity, availability of link for data transfer data may vary. This paper discusses about Mobile Ad-Hoc environment with varying node density and its effect on node connectivity among MANET routing protocols. The performance of two routing protocols like DSDV from proactive routing protocols, AODV from reactive routing protocols are analyzed and compared. Quantitative metrics like normalized overhead, packet delivery ratio, number of control packets are evaluated using the Network Simulator NS-2. This paper helps in identifying the impact of varying node densities on the node connectivity in Mobile Ad-Hoc networks. The result of performance comparison can also be helpful in the design of new routing protocols based on topological characteristics.
KeywordsMANET DSDV AODV Node Connectivity Node Density
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Schult, N., Mirhakkak, M., LaRocca, D.: Routing in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. IEEE, Los Alamitos (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Goel, A., Sharma, A.: Performance Analysis of Mobile Ad-hoc Network Using AODV Protocol. International Journal of Computer Science and Security (IJCSS) 3(5), 334 (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Adam, N., Ismail, M.Y., Addullah, J.: Effect of Node Density on Performance of Three MANET Routing Protocols. In: 2010 International Conference on Electronic Devices, Systems and Applications (ICEDSA 2010). IEEE, Los Alamitos (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Siva Ram Murthy, C., Manoj, B.S.: AdHoc Wireless Networks Architectures and Protocols, 2nd edn., pp. 321–347. Pearson Education, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 5.Royer, E.M., Toh, C.-K.: A Review of Current Routing Protocols for AdHoc Mobile Wireless Networks. IEEE Personal Communications, 46 (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Arun Kumar, B.R., Reddy, L.C., Hiremath, P.S.: Performance Comparison of Wireless Mobile Ad-Hoc Network Routing Protocols. International Journal of Computer Science and Network Security 8(6), 337 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Corson, S.: Mobile Ad hoc Networking (MANET): Routing Protocol Performance Issues and Evaluation Considerations, RFC2501Google Scholar
- 8.Santi, P., Blough, D.M.: An Evaluation of Connectivity in Mobile Wireless AdHoc Networks. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Dependable Systems and Networks (DSN 2002). IEEE, Los Alamitos (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Deepa, S., Kadhal Nawaz, D.M.: A Study on the Behavior of MANET Routing Protocols with Variying Densities and Dynamic Mobility Patterns. IJCA Special Issue on Mobile Ad-hoc Networks, MANET 2010, 124 (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Greis’, M.: Tutorial for the UCB/LBNL/VINT Network Simulator nsGoogle Scholar
- 11.Perkins, C., Royer, E.M.: Ad hoc On demand distance vector (AODV) routing (Internet draft) (August 1998)Google Scholar
- 12.Bagchi, S., Cabuk, S., Lin, L., Malhotra, N., Shroff, N.: Analysis of Topological Characteristics of Unreliable Mobile Wireless AdHoc Network (1999)Google Scholar