An Automatic and Robust Chessboard Corner Extraction
- 882 Downloads
Camera calibration is crucial in many applications. Our lab uses the world wide used camera calibration toolbox for Matlab and finds its two major drawbacks, i.e., manual selection of the four extreme corners and inability to process images larger than 2MP. In this paper, a new method to eliminate these drawbacks is presented. The original chessboard is modified slightly and based on the added boundary composed of four narrow rectangles, the four extreme corners can be forecast. In addition, because it is implemented by C++, the 2MP limitation no longer exists. The experiment shows that even without multithread optimization and even for a 50MP photo, the corners can be extracted within 20 seconds on a 3GHz CPU.
KeywordsCamera Calibration Corner Extraction 3D Scanner
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Shi, X., Diao, C., Lu, D.: An Efficient and Robust Camera Extrinsic Parameters Calibration Algorithm. Journal of Computational Information Systems 3(1), 285–293 (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Faugeras, O.D., Luong, Q.T., Maybank, S.J.: Camera Self-Calibration: Theory and Experiments. In: Sandini, G. (ed.) ECCV 1992. LNCS, vol. 588, pp. 321–334. Springer, Heidelberg (1992)Google Scholar
- 3.Shi, J.: Fundamental of Virtual Reality and Its Practical Algorithm. Science Press, Beijing (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Ma, S., Zhang, Z.: Computer Vision - Fundamental of Computational Theory and Algorithm. Science Press, Beijing (1998)Google Scholar
- 5.Camera Calibration Toolbox for Matlab, http://www.vision.caltech.edu/bouguetj/calib_doc
- 6.Heikkila, J., Silven, O.: A Four-step Camera Calibration Procedure with Implicit Image Correction. In: IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 1106–1112 (1997)Google Scholar
- 8.Bakstein, H.: A Complete DLT-based Camera Calibration with a Virtual 3D Calibration Object, Thesis, Prague (1999)Google Scholar
- 12.Brown, D.C.: Photometric Engineering, vol. 32(3), pp. 444–462 (1966)Google Scholar