MCDM Applications on Effective Project Management for New Wafer Fab Construction
This paper presents a multicriteria analysis approach for finding a route of evaluation on construction project in semiconductor manufacturing fabrication (fab). The Analytic Hierarchy Process (AHP) method is used to determine the weights for evaluation criteria among decision makers, including fab construction team, users and top management. The subjectivity and vagueness in the categorization process is dealt with by using fuzzy numbers for linguistic terms. This empirical study orients a project management on design change requirement (DCR) during construction a new wafer fab in Taiwan, and illustrates the effectiveness of the proposed approach. This study provides empirical evidence on project management effectiveness with the intent of contributing to a better understanding and improvement of project management practices. It looks into the causes of DCR and then provides possible solutions to minimize the occurrence of the DCR in the future fab construction project.
KeywordsPerformance Evaluation Analytic Hierarchy Process (AHP) Multiple Criteria Decision Making (MCDM) Design Change Requirement (DCR) Wafer fab Semiconductor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Fulmer, W.E.: Shaping the Adaptive Organization: Landscapes, Learning, and Leadership in Volatile Times. AMACOM, New York (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Kawakita, J.: The KJ method – a scientific approach to problem solving, Technical report, Kawakita Research Institute, Tokyo (1975)Google Scholar
- 5.Keeney, R.L., Raiffa, H.: Decisions with Multiple Objective: Preference and Value Tradeoffs. Wiley, New York (1976)Google Scholar
- 6.Lo, M.C., Chang, C.Y., Tzeng, G.H.: Semiconductor Project Management of Design Change Requirement for New Wafer Fab Construction. In: Proceedings of the International Conference of Asia Pacific Industrial Engineering & Management (APIEMS 2002), Taipei, Taiwan (2002a)Google Scholar
- 7.Lo, M.C., Wu, H.C., Lai, C.M., Chiang, S.H.: A Study on Resource Management of Design Change Requirement for New Wafer Fab Construction. In: Semiconductor Manufacturing Technology Workshop (SMTW 2002), Hsin-Chu, Taiwan (2002b)Google Scholar
- 10.Tang, M.T., Tzeng, G.H., Wang, S.W.: A Hierarchy Fuzzy MCDM Method for Studying Electronic Marketing Strategies in the Information Service Industry. Journal of International Information Management 8(1), 1–22 (1999)Google Scholar
- 13.Tzeng, G.H.: A study on the PATTERN Method for the Decision Process in the Public System. Japan Journal of Behaviormetrics 4(2), 29–44 (1977)Google Scholar