Fuzzy Control of a Wastewater Treatment Process
- 1.5k Downloads
The paper deals with the fuzzy control of a waste water treatment process in which the organic substances are removed. The process is treated as a multi variable process, having the dilution rate, the aeration rate and the recycling rate as control inputs and the dissolved oxygen and the substrate concentrations in the effluent as output variables. The process sensitivities with respect to the control inputs in the case of indirect control through the control of dissolved oxygen concentration and of the direct control of substrate were studied. In all cases fuzzy controllers were used. It was also shown that fuzzy control provides good results in the presence of disturbances and parametric uncertainties of the model.
KeywordsWastewater Treatment Dilution Rate Fuzzy Control Fuzzy Controller Dissolve Oxygen Concentration
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Barbu, M., Caraman, S.: QFT Multivariabil Control of a Biotechnological Wastewater Treatment Process Using ASM1 Model. In: 10th IFAC Symposium on Computer Applications in Biotechnology, Cancun (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Barbu, M.: Automatic Control of Biotechnological Processes. Galati University Press, Romania (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Garcia-Sanz, M., Eguinoa, I., Gil, M., Irizar, I., Ayesa, E.: MIMO Quantitative Robust Control of a Wastewater Treatment Plant for Biological Removal of Nitrogen and Phosphorus. In: 16th Mediterranean Conference on Control and Automation, Corcega (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Goodman, B.L., Englande, A.J.: A Unified Model of the Activated Sludge Process. Journal of Water Pollution Control Fed. 46, 312–332 (1974)Google Scholar
- 5.Henze, M., et al.: Activated Sludge Models ASM1, ASM2, ASM2d and ASM3. IWA Publishing, London (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Katebi, M.R., Johnson, M.A., Wilke, J.: Control and Instrumentation for Wastewater Treatment Plant. Springer, London (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Mamdani, E.H.: Applications of fuzzy controllers for control of simple dynamic plant. Proceedings of IEEE 121, 1585–1588 (1976)Google Scholar
- 8.Olsson, G., Newell, B.: Wastewater treatment systems – modelling, diagnosis and control. IWA Publishing, London (1999)Google Scholar
- 9.Preitl, S., Precup, R.E.: Introduction in process fuzzy control, vol. 151. Technical Publishing, Bucharest (1997)Google Scholar