System of Systems for Sensor and Actuator Networks
Sensor and actuator networks are often the backbone of control applications. They are used in many different fields, such as health care, home automation, and industrial control. Despite the prevalence of sensor and actuator networks, there is a lack of tools to support the rapid prototyping of sensing and control applications. We have developed a system to support a generic platform for rapid prototyping of sensing and control applications in which different sensors and actuators are brought together to perform specific functions. At the heart of the system-of-systems is the Control INterface to Devices and Instruments (CINDI), a small Linux-based box with a number of standard interfaces. The system was built with simplicity in mind and to support component reuse.
Keywordssystem of systems sensor and actuator networks rapid prototyping pervasive computing ubiquitous computing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hata, Y., Yamaguchi, H., Kobashi, S., Taniguchi, K., Nakajima, H.: A Human Health Monitoring System of Systems in Bed. In: IEEE International Conference on System of Systems Engineering, pp. 1–6 (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Greenberg, S., Fitchett, C., Tn, C.: Phidgets: Incorporating Physical Devices into the Interface. In: CHI (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Marquardt, N., Greenberg, S.: Distributed physical interfaces with shared phidgets. In: Proceedings of the 1st international conference on Tangible and embedded interaction - TEI 2007, ACM Press, New York (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Bose, R., King, J., Pickles, S., Elzabadani, H., Helal, A.: Building Plug-and-Play Smart Homes Using the Atlas Platform. In: Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Smart Homes and Health Telematic (ICOST), Belfast, the Northern Islands (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Sollacher, R., Niedermeier, C., Vicari, N., Osipov, M.: Towards a Service Oriented Architecture for Wireless Sensor Networks in Industrial Applications (2007)Google Scholar