Interface Design to Support Situation Awareness in Virtual Puppetry
We propose virtual puppetry as a potential mechanism for enhancing students’ presence in a virtual learning environment. To develop this style of interaction will require substantial attention to the user interface in order to promote the operator’s situation awareness of both the real and virtual environments. This presentation describes the development of an initial prototype and some of the ongoing concerns for controlling virtual puppets.
KeywordsVirtual Puppetry Interface Design Situation Awareness Virtual Environments Presence Virtual Heritage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Jacobson, J.: Ancient Architecture in Virtual Reality; does Visual Immersion Really aid Learning? Dissertation, School of Information Sciences. University of Pittsburgh (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Devine, K.: Place and Time: Creating Contextualized Presence for Virtual Heritage. In: Proc. 13th Intl Conference on Virtual Systems and Multimedia, pp. 65–72 (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Second Life, http://secondlife.com/
- 4.Mateas, M.: Expressive AI. Leonardo. Journal of the International Society for Arts 34(2), 147–153 (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Unity Game Engine, http://unity3d.com/
- 7.Puppet Theater, http://www.puppettheater.com