Human–Robot Collaboration with Augmented Reality
This paper presents an implementation of human-robot collaboration by using augmented reality technique for providing necessary information to human operator. In this research, human operator and a robot arm share the same workspace in virtual object assembly task. The virtual objects are created in the form of 3D computer graphics that is superimposed on the real video image. While working in assembly task, the robot will assist the human operator by loading the virtual objects. Furthermore, a task planner controls all robots’ operations accordingly to human actions. Using augmented reality, human operator will receive robot’s task plan in the form of computer graphics during assembly task. The computer-generated information will support human operator’s decision for a suitable next step action.
KeywordsHuman -Robot Collaboration Augmented Reality Task Planning
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Triebfürst, W.W.G.: ARVIKA: Augmented Reality for development, production and service. In: Proceedings of the 1st International Symposium on Mixed and Augmented Reality, IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC, USA (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Pathomaree, N., Charoenseang, S.: Augmented reality for skill transfer in assembly task. In: IEEE International Workshop on Robot and Human Interactive Communication ROMAN 2005, pp. 500–504 (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Yuan, M.L., Ong, S.K., Nee, A.Y.C.: Assembly Guidance in Augmented Reality Environments Using a Virtual Interactive Tool. Singapore-MIT Alliance Symposium, Singapore (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Otmane, S., Mallem, M., Kheddar, A., Chavand, F.: Active Virtual Guides as an Apparatus for Augmented Reality Based Telemanipulation System on the Internet. In: Proceedings of 33rd Annual Simulation Symposium (SS 2000), Washington, DC, USA, pp. 185–191 (2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Green, S.A., Chase, J.G., XiaoQi, C., Billinghurst, M.: Evaluating the Augmented Reality Human-Robot Collaboration System. In: 15th International Conference on Mechatronics and Machine Vision in Practice M2VIP 2008, pp. 521–526 (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Human Interface Technology Laboratory, ARToolKit, http://www.hitl.washington.edu/artoolkit/documentation