Automatic 3-D Facial Fitting Technique for a Second Life Avatar
This paper describes an automatic 3-D facial fitting technique for a Second Life avatar. It is often difficult to create an original avatar by yourself that resembles a real person. In Second Life, the combinations of system-defined parameters deform the shape of the avatar, and we can’t control each vertex directly. It needs to encode the deformation information into many parameters. As a reference target, we make use of MRI data that scans the real face. It is stable and not affected by lighting and diffused reflection. In our experiments, we picked up 428 vertices on the base model for facial fitting. Using the iteration technique, more than 50% of vertices are just on the reference targets, and more than 85 % are within +/- 3mm of errors.
KeywordsReference Target Dependency Matrix Visual Parameter Uncanny Valley Morphable Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Blanz, V., Vetter, T.: A Morphable Model for the Synthesis of 3D Faces. In: Proc. of ACM SIGGRAPH 1999, pp. 187–194 (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Dohi, H., Ishizuka, M.: A Life-like Agent Interface System with Second Life Avatars on the OpenSimulator Server. In: Proc. of 13th Int’l Conf. on Human-Computer Interaction, HCII 2009 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Koda, T., Maes, P.: Agents with Faces: The Effects of Personification of Agents. In: Proc. HCI 1996, pp. 98–103. The British HCI Group (1996)Google Scholar
- 6.Nagaoka, T., Watanabe, S., Sakurai, K., Kunieda, E., Watanabe, S., Taki, M., Yamanaka, Y.: Development of Realistic High-Resolution Whole-Body Voxel Models of Japanese Adult Male and Female of Average Height and Weight, and Application of Models to Radio-Frequency Electromagnetic-Field Dosimetry. Physics in Medicine and Biology 49, 1–15 (2004)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.OECD Health Data 2010 – Version (October 2010), http://www.oecd.org/
- 8.Patel, A., Smith, W.A.P.: 3D Morphable Face Models Rivisited. In: Proc. of Int’l Conf. On Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, CVPR 2009, pp. 1327–1334 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Second Life official site, http://secondlife.com/
- 10.Second Life Marketplace, https://marketplace.secondlife.com/