Serious Games for Psychological Health Education
This paper presents a summary of recent research efforts aiming to address modern psychological health education needs through the use of innovative instructional tools. The current body of research on virtual learning environments and serious games as they relate to psychological treatment shows promising results, especially in the case of the instructional interventions that provide an optimal blend of education and training and focus on the psychological health knowledge acquisition as well as appropriate stress management skills and behaviors. In concert with the theoretical and research foundations within the psychological health domain and pedagogical precepts in the area of simulation and game-based learning, this article also presents design considerations for serious games for psychological health.
KeywordsSerious Games Psychological Health Education Mental Health Virtual Learning Environments
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Castro, C.A., Hoge, C.W., Cox, A.L.: Battlemind training: Building soldier resiliency. In: Proceedings of 1ATO Research & Technology Organization Meeting, Human Dimensions in Military Operations: Military Leaders’ Strategies for Addressing Stress and Psychological Support, France, RTO-MP-HFM-134, Paper 42, pp. 42-1 – 42-6 (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Cannon-Bowers, J., Bowers, C.: Learning and Technology-Based Solutions for PTSD Prevention: An Example of Future Medical Simulation. Paper presented at the Interservice/Industry Training, Simulation and Education Conference (IITSEC), Orlando, FL (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Stetz, M., Long, C., Wiederhold, B.K., Turner, D.: Combat Scenarios and Relaxation Training to Harden Medics Against Stress. Journal of CyberTherapy and Rehabilitation 1(3), 239–246 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Wexler, S., Corti, K., Derryberry, A., Quinn, C., Van Barnveld, A.: Immersive Learning Simulations: A 360-Degree Report, eLearning Guild (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Andrews, A., Joyce, R., Bowers, C.: Using Serious Games for Mental Health Education. In: Cannon-Bowers, J., Bowers, C. (eds.) Serious Game Design and Development: Technologies for Training and Learning. Information Science Reference, Hershey (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Rizzo, A., Reger, G., Gahm, G., Difide, J., Rothbaum, B.: Virtual Reality Exposure Therapy for Combat-Related PTSD. In: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder Basic Science and Clinical Practice. Humana Press, Totowa (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Morie, J.: Re-Entry: Online Virtual World as a Healing Space for Veterans. Institute for Creative Technologies, University of Southern California (2009)Google Scholar