Irradiating Heat in Virtual Environments: Algorithm and Implementation
Human-computer interactive systems focused mostly on graphical rendering, implementation of haptic feedback sensation or delivery of auditory information. Human senses are not limited to those information and other physical characteristics, like thermal sensation, are under research and development. In Virtual Reality, not so many algorithms and implementation have been exploited to simulate thermal characteristics of the environment. This physical characteristic can be used to dramatically improve the overall realism. Our approach is to establish a preliminary way of modelling an irradiating thermal environment taking into account the physical characteristics of the heat source. We defined an algorithm where the irradiating heat surface is analysed for its physical characteristic, material and orientation with respect to a point of interest. To test the algorithm consistency some experiments were carried out and the results have been analysed. We implemented the algorithm in a basic virtual reality application using a simple and low cost thermo-feedback device to allow the user to perceive the temperature in the 3D space of the environment.
KeywordsVirtual Reality Thermal Characteristic Haptic Physiology
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Benali-Khoudja, M., Hafez, M., Alexandre, J.M., Benachour, J., Kheddar, A.: Thermal feedback model for virtual reality. In: International Symposium on Micromechatronics and Human Science. IEEE, Los Alamitos (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Bonacina, C., Cavallini, A., Mattarolo, L.: Trasmissione del calore. CLEUP, Via delle Fontane 44 r., Genova, Italy (1989)Google Scholar
- 3.Caldwell, D., Gosney, C.: Enhanced tactile feedback (tele-taction) using a multi-functional sensory system. In: Robotics and Automation Conference. IEEE, Los Alamitos (1993)Google Scholar
- 4.Yang, G.-H., Ki-Uk Kyung, M.S., Kwon, D.S.: Development of quantitative tactile display device to provide both pin-array-type tactile feedback and thermal feedback. In: Second Joint EuroHaptics Conference and Symposium on Haptic Interfaces for Virtual Environment and Teleoperator Systems. IEEE, Los Alamitos (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Guiatni, M., Kheddar, A.: Theoretical and experimental study of a heat transfer model for thermal feedback in virtual environments. In: International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems. IEEE, Los Alamitos (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Kandel, E., Schawrtz, J., Jessell, T.: Principles of Neural Sience. McGraw Hill, New York (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Lin, M.C., Otaduy, M.A.: Haptic Rendering, Foundations,Algorithm and Applications. A.K. Peters, Ltd., Wellesly, Massachusetts (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Winter, D.A.: Biomechanics and motor control of human movement, 3rd edn. John Wiley and Sons, Chichester (2004) (incorporated)Google Scholar
- 10.Yunus, C., Boles, M.A.: Thermodynamics: An Engineering Approach Sixth Edition (SI Units). McGraw-Hill Higher Education, New York (2009)Google Scholar