FRINGE: A New Approach to the Detection of Overlapping Communities in Graphs
Currently, there is a growing interest in identifying communities in social networks. Although there are many algorithms that suitably resolve this problem, they do not properly find overlaps among communities. This paper describes a new approach to the detection of overlapping communities based on the ideas of friendship and leadership, using a new centrality measure, called extended degree. We describe the algorithm in detail and discuss its results in comparison to CFinder, a well-known algorithm for finding overlapping communities. These results show that our proposal behaves well in networks with a clear leadership relationship, in addition it not only returns the overlapping communities detected but specifies their leaders as well.
Keywordscommunity detection overlapping communities social networks unweighted networks graph algorithms
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Goyal, A., Bonchi, F., Lakshmanan, L.V.S.: Discovering Leaders from Community Actions. In: Proceedings of the 17th ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management, pp. 499–508. ACM, New York (2008)Google Scholar
- 15.Nabaa, M., Bertelle, C., Dutot, A., Olivier, D., Mallet, P.: Communities Detection Algorithm to Minimize Risk During an Evacuation. In: Proceedings of the 4th Annual IEEE Systems Conference, SysCon 2010, pp. 323–328 (2010)Google Scholar
- 17.Palla, G., Derényi, I., Farkas, I.J., Vicsek, T.: Uncovering the Overlapping Modular Structure of Protein Interaction Networks. FEBS J. 272, 434 (2005)Google Scholar
- 18.Pizzuti, C.: Overlapped Community Detection in Complex Networks. In: Proceedings of the 11th Annual Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference, GECCO 2009, pp. 859–866 (2009)Google Scholar
- 19.Rees, B.S., Gallagher, K.B.: Overlapping Community Detection by Collective Friendship Group Inference. In: Proceedings of the 2010 International Conference on Advances in Social Networks Analysis and Mining (ASONAM 2010), pp. 375–379 (2010)Google Scholar
- 20.Richardson, M., Domingos, P.: Mining Knowledge-Sharing Sites for Viral Marketing. In: Proceedings of the Eighth International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, pp. 61–70. ACM Press, Edmonton (2002)Google Scholar
- 22.Scott, J.: Social Network Analysis: A Handbook. SAGE Publications, London (2000)Google Scholar
- 23.Wang, F., Duman, H., Nguyen, D., Thompson, S.: Overlapping Communities Generation for Online Support Forums. In: Proceedings of the 2009 International Conference on Adaptive and Intelligent Systems, pp. 175–180 (2009)Google Scholar