On Stability of Elastic Rectangular Sandwich Plate Subject to Biaxial Compression
In the present paper, in the framework of a general stability theory for three-dimensional bodies the buckling analysis has been carried out for a rectangular sandwich plate subject to biaxial compression. The sandwich plate consists of a porous core, covered by a hard and stiff shell. The behavior of a coating is investigated in the framework of a classic (non-polar) continuum model, while to describe the properties of a core the Cosserat continuum model is used. Using the linearization method in the vicinity of a basic state, the neutral equilibrium equations have been derived, which describe the perturbed state of a sandwich plate. The linearized boundary-value problems have been formulated both for a case of a general sandwich plate and for a sandwich plate with identical top and bottom coatings. By solving these problems numerically for some specific materials, the critical curves and corresponding buckling modes can be found, and the stability regions can be constructed in the plane of loading parameters (relative axial compressions).
KeywordsBuckling analysis Sandwich plate Biaxial compression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Cosserat, E., Cosserat, F.: Theorie des Corps Deformables. Hermann et Fils, Paris (1909)Google Scholar
- 2.Eremeyev, V.A., Zubov, L.M.: On stability of elastic bodies with couple-stresses. Mekhanika Tverdovo Tela (3):181–190, (1994) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 5.Lakes, R.: Experimental methods for study of Cosserat elastic solids and other generalized elastic continua. In: Muhlhaus, H., Wiley, J. (ed.) Continuum models for materials with micro-structure, pp. 1–22. New York (1995)Google Scholar
- 6.Lurie, A.I.: Non-linear Theory of Elasticity. North-Holland, Amsterdam (1990)Google Scholar
- 7.Maugin, G.A.: On the structure of the theory of polar elasticity. Philosophical Transactions of Royal Society London A 356, 1367–1395 (1998) Google Scholar
- 11.Sheydakov, D.N.: Buckling of elastic composite rod of micropolar material subject to combined loads. In: Altenbach, H., Erofeev, V.I., Maugin, G.A.: (eds.) Mechanics of Generalized Continua – From Micromechanical Basics to Engineering Applications, pp. 255–271. Springer, Berlin, (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Zubov, L.M.: Nonlinear Theory of Dislocations and Disclinations in Elastic Bodies. Springer, Berlin (1964)Google Scholar