Business Process Management for Open E-Services in Local Government Experience Report
E-government has become one of the most prominent means to reform the public sector. Building e-government embraces a variety of efforts both at a centralised level, (e.g. the integration of and communication between systems across different agencies, domains and geographies), and at local levels such as the development of e-services for the provision of 24/7 public sector agencies. In this paper, we report on the results of a project aimed to develop e-services as a part of the e-government initiative in Sweden. The project was carried out at the elderly and handicapped unit at one municipality. The e-services considered in the project were also intended to open up the underlying social services and are, therefore, referred to as open e-services. We discuss the results of the development of one such e-service as a proof-of concept solution for which a business process management system is used. We present the solution and explain the features of using a business process management system as a back-end system.
KeywordsBusiness process management e-services e-government
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.European Union. Web accessibility policy, http://europa.eu/geninfo/accessibility_policy_en.htm (accessed June 28, 2010)
- 2.ter Hofstede, A., van der Aalst, W.M.P., Adams, M., Russell, N. (eds.): Modern Business Process Automation: YAWL and its Support Environment. Springer, Heidelberg (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Integrations- och jämnställdhetsdepartamentet. Lag (2009:724) om nationella minoriteter och minoritetsspråk (2009) (in Swedish), http://www.notisum.se/rnp/sls/lag/20090724.htm (accessed June 28, 2010)
- 4.Regeringskansliet, Statens offentliga utredningar (SOU). Strategi för myndigheternas arbete med e-förvaltning (2009) (in Swedish), http://www.regeringen.se/sb/d/11456/a/133813 (accessed July 5, 2010)
- 5.Statistics Sweden. The future population of Sweden (2009), http://www.scb.se/statistik/_publikationer/BE0401_2009I60_BR_BE51BR0901ENG.pdf (accessed July 15, 2010)
- 6.Steg, H., Strese, H., Loroff, C., Hull, J., Schmidt, S.: Europe is facing a demographic challenge Ambient Assisted Living offers solutions (2006), http://www.aal169.org/Projectdoc.html (accessed July 22, 2010)
- 7.Swedish Association of Local Authorities and Regions. Care of the Elderly in Sweden Today 2006 (2007), http://skl.se/web/Publications_and_reports.aspx (accessed July 15, 2010)
- 8.W3C. Techniques for web content accessibility guidelines 1.0 (2000), http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT-TECHS/#tech-directly-accessible (accessed June 28, 2010)