A Fingerprint Image Enhancement Method Based on Contourlet Transform
The quality of fingerprint image has great effect for its follow-up steps such as recognition. Therefore, an effective method is needed to enhance the collected fingerprint image. In this paper, a new fingerprint image enhancement approach combining contourlet transform and maximum modulus detection is proposed. Contourlet transform decomposes the input image into high-frequency part and low-frequency part. The maximum modulus detection is applied to the high-frequency image and the low-frequency image is used to compensate the high-frequency part. Experimental results demonstrate that the proposed method can effectively improve the quality of fingerprint image, increase the clarity of fingerprint ridges and valleys, and have better continuity.
Keywordsfingerprint image enhancement maximum modulus contourlet transform low-frequency compensation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Zhang, W.-p., Wang, Q.-r., Tang, Y.Y.: A wavelet-based method for fingerprint image enhancement. In: International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics, vol. 4, pp. 1973–1977 (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Ibrahim, M.T., Bashir, T., Guan, L.: Robust fingerprint image enhancement: an improvement to directional analysis of fingerprint image using directional Gaussian filter and non-subsampled contourlet transform. In: International Symposium on Multimedia, pp. 280–285 (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Cheng, G.-Q., Cheng, L.-Z.: Adaptive fingerprint image enhancement with contourlet transform. Congress on Image and Signal, 261–264 (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Do, M.N., Vetterli, M.: Contourlets: A directional multiresolution image representation. In: International Conference on Image Processing, vol. 1, pp. 357–360 (2002)Google Scholar
- 13.Cheng, G.: Matlab image processing and application, 2nd edn. National Defense Industry Press, Beijing (2007)Google Scholar
- 14.Shang, Z.-g., Zhao, C.-h., Sun, Y., Liu, J.-m.: A new edge detection method based on nonsubsampled contourlet. Journal of Optoelectronics Laser 20(4), 525–529 (2009)Google Scholar