A Fast Frame Synchronous Methodology Used in the Chip Implementation for 10Gb/s FEC-Coded Ethernet Frame
This paper presents a chip implementation of fast frame synchronous scheme for forward error correction (FEC) layer of 10 Gb/s Ethernet frame. The fast frame synchronous methodology is achieved by changing the endian mode, the improved error trapper circuit can work in both syndrome generator mode and error trapper mode. One is the current syndrome generator; the other is the improved error trapper which works in syndrome generator mode. The two syndrome generators can work in parallel. When frame is synchronized, the error trapper can return to its normal working mode. A kind of network device that realizes the FEC functions is designed and a test network topology is set up to test and evaluate the FEC method. Experimental result shows that the frame synchronizing speed is twice that of the conventional method, while the hardware overhead is very small.
KeywordsForward Error Correction (FEC) fast frame synchronous endian mode Ethernet
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Khermosh, L., Maislos, A., Haran, O.: Forward error correction coding in Ethernet networks. U.S. Patent, 7,343,540, March 11 (2008)Google Scholar
- 2.Pato, S., Monteiro, P., Silva, H.: Impact of Mode-partition Noise in the Performance of 10Gbit/s Ethernet Passive Optical Networks. In: 9th International Conference on Transparent Optical Networks ICTON 2007, Rome, July 1-5, pp. 67–70 (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Zhong, Y., Yang, H., Prabhakar, A.: A Vlsi Implementation Of A Fec Decoding System For Dtmb(Gb20600-2006) Standard. In: 7th International Conference on ASICON 2007, Guilin, China, October 22-25, pp. 926–929 (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Dai, J., Yu, S.H.: An adaptive forward error correction method for TDM over Ethernet. In: International Conference on Wireless Communications, Networking and Mobile Computing, Shanghai, China, September 21-25, pp. 1393–1397 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Akyildiz, I.F., Joe, I., Driver, H., Ho, Y.L.: A new adaptive FEC scheme for wireless ATM networks. In: Military Communications Conference, Boston, MA, October 18-21, pp. 277–281 (1998)Google Scholar
- 8.Schramm, P., Wachsmann, U.: Efficient system and method for forward error correction. U.S. Patent, 6,553,540, April 22 (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Cole, R.M., Bishop, J.E.: System and method for forward error correction. U.S. Patent, 7,076,724, July 11 (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Merritt, D.: Error Correction apparatus and method. U.S. Patent, 7,296,204, November 13 (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Khermosh, L.: Method of ethernet frame forward correction initialization and auto-negotiation. U.S. Patent, 7,555,214, June 30 (2009)Google Scholar
- 12.Lin, S., Costello, D.: Error Control Coding: Fundamentals and Applications. Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1983)Google Scholar
- 13.Nuyen, H.C., Kramer, G., Hirth, R.E.: Method and apparatus for delineating data in an FEC-coded ethernet frame. U.S. Patent, 7,152,199, December 19 (2006)Google Scholar
- 14.IEEE 802.3 - 2008. IEEE standard for information technology - telecommunications and information exchange between systems-local and metropolitan area networks specific requirements, Part 3: Carrier sense multiple access with collision detection (CSMA/CD) access method and physical layer specifications (2008)Google Scholar