Localization and Segmentation of the Optic Nerve Head in Eye Fundus Images Using Pyramid Representation and Genetic Algorithms
This paper proposes an automatic method to locate and segment the optic nerve head (papilla) from eye fundus color photographic images. The method is inspired in the approach presented in . Here, we use a Gaussian pyramid representation of the input image to obtain a subwindow centered at a point of the papillary area. Then, we apply a Laplacian pyramid to this image subwindow and we obtain a set of interest points (IPs) in two pyramid levels. Finally, a two-phase genetic algorithm is used in each pyramid level to find an ellipse containing the maximum number of IPs in an offset of its perimeter and, in this way, to achieve a progressive solution to the ONH contour. The method is tested in an eye fundus image database and, in relation to the method described in , the proposed method provides a slightly lower performance but it simplifies the methodology used to obtain the set of IPs and also reduces the computational cost of the whole process.
KeywordsOptic Nerve Head Interest Point Laplacian Pyramid Gaussian Pyramid Pyramid Representation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Mendels, F., Heneghan, C., Thiran, J.: Identification of the optic disk boundary in retinal images using active contours. In: Proceedings of the Irish Machine Vision and Image Processing Conference (IMVIP 1999), pp. 103–115 (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Osareh, A., Mirmehdi, M., Thomas, B., Markham, R.: Colour morphology and snakes for optic disc localisation. In: Proceedings of the 6th Medical Image Understanding and Analysis Conference, pp. 21–24 (2002)Google Scholar
- 13.DRIONS-DB: Digital Retinal Images for Optic Nerve Segmentation Database, http://www.ia.uned.es/personal/ejcarmona/DRIONS-DB.html (accessed on August 21, 2009)
- 15.Shields, M.B.: Color atlas of glaucoma. Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore (1998)Google Scholar
- 16.Holland, J.H.: Adaption in Natural and Artificial Systems. MIT Press, Cambridge (1992)Google Scholar