Neural Networks versus Genetic Algorithms as Medical Classifiers
In this article we want to assess the feasibility of using genetic algorithms as classifiers that could be used in clinical decision support systems, for urological diseases diagnosis in our case. The use of artificial neural networks is more common in this field, and we have previously tested their use with the same purpose. At the end of the document we compare the obtained results using genetic algorithms and two different artificial neural networks implementations. The obtained accuracy rates show that genetic algorithms could be a useful tool to be used in the clinical decision support systems field.
Keywordsneural networks genetic algorithms clinical decision support systems urological disorders
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Greenes, R.A.: Clinical Decision Support, The road ahead. Academic Press, London (2007)Google Scholar
- 4.Coiera, E.: Guide to Health Informatics, London, UK (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Mehrabi, S., Maghsoudloo, M.: Application of multilayer perceptron and radial basis function neural networks in differentiating between chronic obstructive pulmonary and congestive heart failure diseases. Expert Systems with Applications (2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Alba-Sanchez, F., Yañez-Suarez, O., Brust-Carmona, H.: Assisted diagnosis of Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder through EEG bandpower clustering with self-organizing maps. In: Procds. of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC) Annual Intl. Conf., pp. 2447–2450 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Lisboa, P.K., Taktak, A.F.G.: The use or artificial neural networks in decision support in cancer: A systematic review. Neural Networks (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.Tomar, R.S., Singh, T., Wadhwani, S., Bhadoria, S.S.: Analysis of breast cáncer using image processing techniques. In: Proceedings of the 3rd Uksim European Symposium on Computer Modeling and Simulation (2009)Google Scholar
- 15.Haykin, S.: Neural Networks and Learning Machines, 3rd edn. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (2008)Google Scholar