Linking Software Life Cycle Activities with Product Strategy and Economics: Extending ISO/IEC 12207 with Product Management Best Practices
- 1.1k Downloads
Traditional software engineering reaches its limits when facing increased complexity and variability of software products. Approaches like software product line engineering are considered promising to successfully tackle such challenges. However, to fully exploit its potential, any product- and reuse-focused development approach poses the need to closely link core software engineering activities with strategic and economic product aspects. Product management is generally expected to bridge this gap from business and product related goals to software life cycle activities, but often fails to deliver the promised outcomes. Moreover, software process improvement approaches generally lack the provision of explicit or detailed product management activities. – This paper presents the results of extracting key product management practices from selected software product line and product management frameworks. The obtained results are compared against ISO/IEC 12207 in order to identify directions for defining a standard conformant reference model for process improvement in product-oriented software development contexts.
Keywordssoftware product management software product line software process process reference model ISO/IEC 12207 software process improvement
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Clements, P., Northrop, L.: Software Product Lines: Practices and Patterns. In: The SEI Series in Software Engineering. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Sabisch, H.: Produkte und Produktgestaltung. In: Kern, W., Schröder, H.-H., Weber, J. (eds.) Handwörterbuch der Produktionswirtschaft, pp. 1439–1450. Schäffer-Poeschel, Stuttgart (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.ISO/IEC 15504-2. Information Technology – Process Assessment. International Standards Organization (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.ISO/IEC 12207:2008. Systems and software engineering — Software life cycle processes. International Standards Organization (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.A Framework for Software Product Line Practice, Version 5.0, http://www.sei.cmu.edu/productlines/frame_report/index.html
- 9.Microsoft Solutions Framework, http://msdn.microsoft.com/de-de/library/bb979125.aspx
- 10.Kittlaus, H.-B., Clough, P.N.: Software Product Management and Pricing: Key Success Factors for Software Organizations. Springer, Berlin (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.ISO/IEC 15288:2008. Systems and software engineering — System life cycle processes. International Standards Organization (2008)Google Scholar