Efficiency of e-NR Labeling for On-the-fly Race Detection of Programs with Nested Parallelism
On-the-fly race detector using Lamport’s happened-before relation needs thread labeling scheme for generating unique identifiers which maintain logical concurrency information for the parallel thread. e-NR labeling creates the NR labels by inheriting from the parent thread a pointer to their shared information, so it requires constant amount of time and space overhead on every fork/join operation. Previous work compares e-NR labeling only with OS labeling using a set of synthetic programs to support that e-NR labeling is efficient in detecting races during an execution of programs with nested parallelism. This paper compares empirically e-NR labeling with BD labeling that shows the same complexity of space and time with OS labeling. The results using OpenMP benchmarks with nested parallelism show that e-NR labeling is more efficient than T-BD labeling by at least 2 times in total monitoring time for race detection, and by at least 3 times in average space for maintaining thread labels.
KeywordsEmpirical comparison thread labeling race detection nested parallelism e-NR labeling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Bücker, H.M., Rasch, A., Wolf, A.: A class of openmp applications involving nested parallelism. In: Proceedings of the 2004 ACM Symposium on Applied Computing, SAC 2004, pp. 220–224. ACM, New York (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Dorta, A.J., Rodriguez, C., Sande, F., Sande, F.d., Gonzalez-Escribano, A.: The openmp source code repository. In: Proceedings of the 13th Euromicro Conference on Parallel, Distributed and Network-Based Processing, pp. 244–250. IEEE Computer Society, Washington, DC (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Jannesari, A., Tichy, W.F.: On-the-fly race detection in multi-threaded programs. In: Proceedings of the 6th Workshop on Parallel and Distributed Systems: Testing, Analysis, and Debugging, PADTAD 2008, p. 6. ACM, New York (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Mellor-Crummey, J.: On-the-fly detection of data races for programs with nested fork-join parallelism. In: Proceedings of the 1991 ACM/IEEE Conference on Supercomputing 1991, pp. 24–33. ACM, New York (1991)Google Scholar
- 14.The openmp api specification for parallel programming., http://www.openmp.org