MDCT-Domain Packet Loss Concealment for Scalable Wideband Speech Coding
In this paper, we propose a modified discrete cosine transform (MDCT) based packet loss concealment (PLC) algorithm in order to improve the quality of decoded speech when a packet loss occurs in scalable wideband speech coders using MDCT as spectral parameters. The proposed PLC algorithm is realized by smoothing MDCT coefficients between the low and high bands for scalable wideband speech coders. In G.729.1, a typical scalable wideband speech coder standardized by ITU-T, two different PLC algorithms are applied to low band and high band in time and frequency domain, respectively. Thus, the MDCT coefficients around the boundary between the low and high band can be mismatched. The proposed PLC algorithm is replaced with the PLC algorithm applied to the high band, and it compensates for the mismatch in the MDCT domain at the boundary. Finally, we compare the performance of the proposed PLC algorithm with that of the PLC algorithm employed in G.729.1 by means of perceptual evaluation of speech quality (PESQ), an A-B preference test, and a waveform comparison under different random and burst packet loss conditions. It is shown from the experiments that the proposed PLC algorithm provides significantly better speech quality than the PLC of G.729.1.
KeywordsPacket loss concealment (PLC) wideband speech coding modified discrete cosine transform (MDCT) G.729.1
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Jian, W., Schulzrinne, H.: Comparison and optimization of packet loss repair methods on VoIP perceived quality under bursty loss. In: Proceedings of NOSSDAV, pp. 73–81 (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Gournay, P., Rousseau, F., Lefebvre, R.: Improved packet loss recovery using late frames for prediction-based speech coders. In: Proceedings of ICASSP, pp. 108–111 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Tommy, V., Milan, J., Redwan, S., Roch, L.: Efficient frame erasure concealment in predictive speech codecs using glottal pulse resynchronisation. In: Proceedings of ICASSP, pp. 1113–1116 (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Rogot, S., Kovesi, B., Trilling, R., Virette, D., Duc, N., Massaloux, D., Proust, S., Geiser, B., Gartner, M., Schandl, S., Taddei, H., Yang, G., Shlomot, E., Ehara, H., Yoshida, K., Vaillancourt, T., Salami, R., Lee, M.S., Kim, D.Y.: ITU-T G.729.1: an 8-32 kbit/s scalable coder interoperable with G.729 for wideband Telephony and voice over IP. In: Proceedings of ICASSP, pp. 529–532 (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Taleb, A., Sandgren, P., Johansson, I., Enstrom, D., Bruhn, S.: Partial spectral loss concealment in transform coders. In: Proceedings of ICASSP, pp. 185–188 (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.ETSI ES 202 050, v1.1.3.: Speech Processing, Transmission and Quality Aspects (STQ); Distributed Speech Recognition; Advanced Front-End Feature Extraction Algorithm; Compression Algorithm (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.ITU-T Recommendation P.862. Perceptual Evaluation of Speech Quality (PESQ), and Objective Method for End-to-End Speech Quality Assessment of Narrowband Telephone Networks and Speech Coders (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.EBU Tech Document 3253: Sound Quality Assessment Material, SQAM (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.ITU-T Recommendation G.191: Software Tools for Speech and Audio Coding Standardization (2000)Google Scholar