Genetic Algorithm Based Reliability Optimization in Interval Environment
The objective of this chapter is to develop and solve the reliability optimization problems of series-parallel, parallel-series and complicated system considering the reliability of each component as interval valued number. For optimization of system reliability and system cost separately under resource constraints, the corresponding problems have been formulated as constrained integer/mixed integer programming problems with interval objectives with the help of interval arithmetic and interval order relations. Then the problems have been converted into unconstrained optimization problems by two different penalty function techniques. To solve these problems, two different real coded genetic algorithms (GAs) for interval valued fitness function with tournament selection, whole arithmetical crossover and non-uniform mutation for floating point variables, uniform crossover and uniform mutation for integer variables and elitism with size one have been developed. To illustrate the models, some numerical examples have been solved and the results have been compared. As a special case, taking lower and upper bounds of the interval valued reliabilities of component as same the corresponding problems have been solved and the results have been compared with the results available in the existing literature. Finally, to study the stability of the proposed GAs with respect to the different GA parameters (like, population size, crossover and mutation rates), sensitivity analyses have been shown graphically.
KeywordsGenetic Algorithm System Reliability Integer Variable Interval Number Reliability Engineering
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Kuo, W., Prasad, V.R., Tillman, F.A., Hwuang, C.L.: Optimal Reliability Design Fundamentals and application. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (2001)Google Scholar
- 16.Utkin, L.V., Gurov, S.V.: Imprecise reliability of general structures. Knowledge and Information Systems 1(4), 459–480 (1999)Google Scholar
- 17.Utkin, L.V., Gurov, S.V.: New reliability models based on imprecise probabilities. In: Hsu, C. (ed.) Advanced Signal Processing Technology, pp. 110–139. World Scientific, Singapore (2001)Google Scholar
- 20.Mahato, S.K., Bhunia, A.K.: Interval-Arithmetic-Oriented Interval Computing Technique for Global Optimization. In: Applied Mathematics Research eXpress 2006, pp. 1–19 (2006)Google Scholar
- 24.Gen, M., Cheng, R.: Genetic algorithms and engineering optimization. John Wiley and Sons Inc., Chichester (2000)Google Scholar
- 25.Michalawich, Z.: Genetic Algorithms + Data structure = Evaluation Programs. Springer, Berlin (1996)Google Scholar
- 27.Levitin, G.: Genetic algorithms in reliability engineering. Reliability Engineering and System Safety 91, 9751–9976 (2006)Google Scholar
- 28.Villanueva, J.F., Sanchez, A.I., Carlos, S., Martorell, S.: Genetic algorithm-based optimization of testing and maintenance under uncertain unavailability and cost estimation: A survey of strategies for harmonizing evoluation and accuracy. Reliability Engineering and System Safety 93, 1830–1841 (2008)CrossRefGoogle Scholar