Automatic Base Station Deployment Algorithm in Next Generation Cellular Networks
- 437 Downloads
The optimal base station placement and effective radio resource management are of paramount importance tasks in cellular wireless networks. This paper deals with automatic planning of base station sites on a studied scenario, maintaining coverage requirement and enabling the transmission of traffic demands distributed over the area. A city scenario with different demands is examined and the advantages/disadvantages of this method are discussed. The planner and optimizing tasks are based on an iterative K-Means clustering method. The planning method involves base station positioning and selecting antenna main lobe direction. Results of the output network deployment of this algorithm are shown, with various traffic loads over the studied area.
Keywordscellular network planning coverage capacity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Karam, O.H., Fattouh, L., Youssef, N., Abdelazim, A.E.: Employing Clustering Techniques in Planning Wireless Local Loop Communication Systems: PlanAir. In: 11th International Conference On Artificial Intelligence Applications Cairo, Egypt, February 23-26 (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Mishra, A.R.: Advanced Cellular Network Planning and Optimization, pp. 15–197. John Wiley & Sons Ltd., Chichester (2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Calegarie, P., Guidec, F., Kuonen, P., Chamaret, B., Udeba, S., Josselin, S., Wagner, D.: Radio network planning with combinatorial algorithms. ACTS Mobile Commun., 707–713 (1996)Google Scholar
- 4.Basit, A.: Dimensioning of LTE Network, Description of Models and Tool, Coverage and Capacity Estimation of 3GPP Long Term Evolution radio interface (2009), http://lib.tkk.fi/Dipl/2009/urn100056.pdf
- 6.MacQueen, J.B.: Some Methods for classification and Analysis of Multivariate Observations. In: Proceedings of 5-th Berkeley Symposium on Mathematical Statistics and Probability, vol. 1, pp. 281–297. University of California Press, Berkeley (1967)Google Scholar
- 7.Ramamurthy, H., Karandikar, A.: B-Hive: A cell planning tool for urban wireless networks. In: 9th National Conference on Communications (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Tutschku, K.: Demand-based Radio Network Planning of Cellular Mobile Communication Systems. In: INFOCOM 1998, pp. 1054–1061 (1998)Google Scholar
- 9.McGeehan, J., Anderson, H.: Optimizing microcell base station locations using simulated annealing techniques. In: Proc. 44th IEEE Vehicular Technology Conf., pp. 858–862 (1994)Google Scholar
- 10.Molina, A., Athanasiadou, G., Nix, A.: The automatic location of base-stations for optimized cellular coverage: A new combinatorial approach. Presented at the IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (1999)Google Scholar
- 11.Hurley, S.: Planning effective cellular mobile radio networks. IEEE Trans. Vehicular Technol. 51(2), 243–253Google Scholar