A Min-Max Hop-Count Based Self-discovering Method of a Bootstrap Router for the Bootstrap Mechanism in Multicast Routing
- 380 Downloads
In this paper, a min-max hop-count based self-discovering method of a Bootstrap Router (BSR) for the bootstrap mechanism in multicast routing is proposed and its performance is evaluated. The key for the proposed method is that the BSR is selected as to become a position such as almost equal distances from the other routers by the min-max hop-count way. Especially, the proposed method can reduce the processing time efficiently to discover a Rendezvous Point which plays a central role of the data transmission. Simulation results show that the proposed method can reduce the processing time by average more than 43% compared with that of the conventional one.
Keywordsmulticast routing protocol bootstrap mechanism bootstrap router self-discovery
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Edwards, B.M., Giuliano, L.A., Wright, B.R.: Interdomain Multicast Routing. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Paul, P., Raghvan, S.V.: Survey of Multicast Routing Algorithm and Protocols. In: 15th Int’l. Conf. Computer Communication, pp. 902–926. IEEE Press, New York (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Fenner, W., Handley, M., Holbrook, H., Kouvelas, I.: Protocol Independent Multicast - Sparse Mode (PIM-SM): Protocol Specification (Revised). RFC 4601 (August 2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Estrin, D., Handly, M., Helmy, A., Huang, P., Thaler, D.: A Dynamic Bootstrap Mechanism for Rendezvous-Based Multicast Routing. In: IEEE 18th Annual Joint Conference of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (INFOCOM 1999), vol. 3, pp. 1090–1098. IEEE Press, New York (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Bhaskar, N., Gall, A., Lingard, J., Venaas, S.: Bootstrap Router (BSR) Mechanism for Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM). RFC 5059 (January 2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Savoa, P., Haberman, B.,: Embedding the Rendezvous Point (RP) Address in an IPv6 Multicast Address. RFC 3956 (November 2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Bista, B.B., Chakraborty, G., Takata, T.: An Efficient RP (Rendezvous Point) Replacement Mechanism for Rendezvous-Based Multicast Routing. In: 23rd Int’l. Conf. Distributed Computing Systems Workshops (ICDCSW 2003), pp. 514–518. IEEE Press, New York (2003)Google Scholar
- 13.Harutyunyan, H.A., Dong, X.: A New Algorithm for RP Selection in PIM-SM Multicast Routing. In: 3rd IASTED Int’l. Conf. Wireless and Optical Communications, pp. 566–571. ACTA Press (2003)Google Scholar
- 14.Lin, H.-C., Lin, Z.-H.: Selection of Candidate Cores for Core-Based Multicast Routing Architectures. In: IEEE Int’l. Conf. Communications (ICC 2002), vol. 1, pp. 2662–2666. IEEE Press, New York (2002)Google Scholar
- 15.Lin, Y.-D., Hsu, N.-B., Pan, C.-J.: Extension of RP Relocation to PIM-SM Multicast Routing. In: IEEE Int’l. Conf. Communications (ICC 2001), vol. 1, pp. 234–238. IEEE Press, New York (2001)Google Scholar