Efficient Routing in Road Networks with Turn Costs
We present an efficient algorithm for shortest path computation in road networks with turn costs. Each junction is modeled as a node, and each road segment as an edge in a weighted graph. Turn costs are stored in tables that are assigned to nodes. By reusing turn cost tables for identical junctions, we improve the space efficiency. Preprocessing based on an augmented node contraction allows fast shortest path queries. Compared to an edge-based graph, we reduce preprocessing time by a factor of 3.4 and space by a factor of 2.4 without change in query time.
Keywordsroute planning banned turn turn cost algorithm engineering
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Caldwell, T.: On Finding Minimum Routes in a Network With Turn Penalties. Communications of the ACM 4(2) (1961)Google Scholar
- 8.Abraham, I., Delling, D., Goldberg, A.V., Werneck, R.F.: A Hub-Based Labeling Algorithm for Shortest Paths on Road Networks. In: Pardalos, P.M., Rebennack, S. (eds.) SEA 2011. LNCS, vol. 6630, pp. 231–242. Springer, Heidelberg (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Volker, L.: Route Planning in Road Networks with Turn Costs, Student Research Project (2008), http://algo2.iti.uni-karlsruhe.de/documents/routeplanning/volker_sa.pdf
- 10.Vetter, C.: Parallel Time-Dependent Contraction Hierarchies, Student Research Project (2009), http://algo2.iti.kit.edu/download/vetter_sa.pdf.
- 11.Vetter, C.: MoNav (2011), http://code.google.com/p/monav/
- 12.Vetter, C.: Fast and Exact Mobile Navigation with OpenStreetMap Data. Master’s thesis, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (2010)Google Scholar