Hierarchical Delaunay Triangulation for Meshing
This paper discusses an elliptical pad structure and its polygonal approximation. The elliptical pad is a part of via model structures, which are important and critical components on today’s multilayered Printed Circuit Board (PCB) and electrical packaging. To explore meshing characterization of the elliptical pad helps mesh generation over 3D structures for electromagnetic modeling (EM) and simulation on PCB and electrical packaging. Because elliptical structures are often key PCB features, we introduce a hierarchical mesh construct and show that it has several useful Delaunay quality characteristics. Then we show experimentally that Computational Geometry Algorithm Library’s (CGAL) meshing of an elliptical structure at different resolution levels and with various aspect ratios produces patterns similar to our construct. In particular, our experiment also shows that the result of meshing is not only constrained Delaunay triangulation but also Delaunay triangulation.
Keywordsconstrained Delaunay triangulation mesh generation CGAL
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Botsch, M., et al.: ACM SIGGRAPH 2007 course 23: Geometric modeling based on polygonal meshes. Association for Computing Machinery (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.CGAL User and Reference Manual, http://www.cgal.org
- 6.Hall, S.H., Hall, G.W., McCall, J.A.: High-Speed Digital System Design: A Handbook of Interconnect Theory and Design Practices. John Wiley & Sons, Inc./A Wiley-Interscience Publication (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Holzbecher, E., Si, H.: Accuracy Tests for COMSOL – and Delaunay Meshes, http://cds.comsol.com/access/dl/papers/5436/Holzbecher.pdf
- 9.Lee, S.: Efficient Finite Element Electromagnetic Analysis for High-Frequency/High Speed Circuits and Multiconductor Transmission Lines. Doctoral Dissertation, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Urbana Illinois (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Ramahi, O.M.: Analysis of Conventional and Novel Delay Lines: A Numerical Study. Journal of Applied Computational Electromagnetic Society 18(3), 181–190 (2003)Google Scholar
- 15.Ye, S., Daniels, K.: Triangle-based Prism Mesh Generation for Electromagnetic Simulations. In: Research Note for the 17th International Meshing Roundtable, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, October 12-15 (2008)Google Scholar
- 16.Ye, S., Daniels, K.: Triangle-based Prism Mesh Generation on Interconnect Models for Electromagnetic Simulations. In: 19th Annual Fall Workshop on Computational Geometry (sponsored by NSF), Tufts University, Medford, MA, November 13-14 (2009)Google Scholar
- 17.Yvinec, M.: Private communication regarding CGAL’s 2D constrained Delaunay algorithm (November 2009)Google Scholar
- 18.Miller, G., Phillips, T., Sheehy, D.: Linear-Sized Meshes. In: Canadian Conference on Computational Geometry, Montreal, Quebec, August 13-15 (2008)Google Scholar