An Error Bounded Tangent Estimator for Digitized Elliptic Curves
In this paper, we address the problem of tangent estimation for digital curves. We propose a simple, geometry based tangent estimation method for digital curves. The geometrical analysis of the method and the maximum error analysis for digital elliptic curves are presented. Numerical results have been tested for digital ellipses of various eccentricities (circle to very sharp ellipses) and the maximum error of the proposed method is bounded and is less than 5.5 degrees for reasonably large ellipses. The error for digital circles is also analyzed and compared with a recent tangent estimation method. In addition, the tangent estimation technique is applied to a flower shaped digital curve with six inflexion points and the results demonstrate good performance. The proposed tangent estimator is applied to a practical application which analyzes the error in a geometric ellipse detection method. The ellipse detection method is greatly benefited by the proposed tangent estimator, as the maximum error in geometrical ellipse detection is no more critically dependent upon the tangent estimation (due to the reduced error in tangent estimation). The proposed tangent estimator also increases the reliability and precision of the ellipse detection method.
KeywordsTangent estimation digital curves error analysis elliptic curves
- 1.Prasad, D.K., Leung, M.K.H.: Error analysis of geometric ellipse detection methods due to quantization. In: Fourth Pacific-Rim Symposium on Image and Video Technology (PSIVT 2010), Singapore (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Anderson, I.M., Bezdek, J.C.: Curvature and tangential deflection of discrete arcs: a theory based on the commutator of scatter matrix pairs and its application to vertex detection in planar shape data. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence PAMI 6, 27–40 (1984)CrossRefzbMATHGoogle Scholar
- 5.Lee, C.-K., Haralick, R.M., Deguchi, K.: Estimation of curvature from sampled noisy data. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, New York, USA, pp. 536–541 (1993)Google Scholar
- 13.Lewiner, T., Craizer, M.: Projective estimators for point/tangent representations of planar curves. In: 21st Brazilian Symposium on Computer Graphics and Image Processing, SIBGRAPI 2008, Campo Grande, BRAZIL, pp. 223–229 (2008)Google Scholar
- 17.Kim, E., Haseyama, M., Kitajima, H.: Fast and Robust Ellipse Extraction from Complicated Images. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Technology and Applications, pp. 357–362 (2002)Google Scholar