Energy Efficient Data Aggregation and Routing in Wireless Sensor Networks
The objective of this work is to maximize the network lifetime by utilizing data aggregation and in-network processing techniques. Here, data aggregation and data routing is addressed as joint problem to achieve the objective. This paper considers the problem of correlated data gathering in WSNs with the objective of minimizing the total transmission cost in terms of power consumption. To minimize the energy consumption, two-level aggregation in fixed virtual grid is used. The first level aggregation is within the cluster by using cluster head and second level aggregation is from the set of cluster heads to group aggregators. In this paper mainly focused on the problem of finding the set of aggregation points that satisfy the objective. Fixed virtual wireless backbone that is built on top of the physical topology is used to reduce clustering and routing overhead. Numerical results show that the proposed work provides substantial energy savings.
KeywordsILP LBA Aggregators
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Nakamura, E.F., Loureiro, A.A.F., Frery, A.C.: Information Fusion for Wireless Sensor Networks: Methods, Models, and Classifications. ACM Computing Surveys 39(3), Article 9 (August 2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Intanagonwiwat, C., Govindan, R., Estrin, D.: Directed diffusion: a scalable and robust communication paradigm for sensor networks. In: Proc. of ACM Mobi-Com 2000, Boston, MA, pp. 56–67 (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Krishnamachari, B., Estrin, D., Wicker, S.: Impact of data aggregation in wireless sensor networks. In: International Workshop on Distributed Event-Based Systems, Vienna, Austria (July 2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Heinzelman, W.R., Chandrakasan, A., Balakrishnan, H.: Energy efficient communication protocol for wireless micro sensor networks. In: Proc. of HICS 2000 (January 2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Lindsey, S., Raghavendra, C.S., Sivalingam, K.: Data Gathering in Sensor Networks using the Energy*Delay Metric. In: Proc. of IPDPS Workshop (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Heinzelman, W.R., Kulik, J., Balakrishnan, H.: Adaptive protocols for Information Dissemination in Wireless Sensor Networks. In: MOBICOM 1999, Seattle, WA, pp. 174–185 (1999)Google Scholar
- 9.AI-Karaki, J.N., Kamal, A.E.: On the Correlated Data Gathering Problem in Wireless Sensor Networks (2004)Google Scholar