Dynamic Materialized View Selection Approach for Improving Query Performance
Because of the query intensive nature of data warehousing or online analytical processing applications, materialized view is quite promising in efficiently processing the queries and for improving the query performance. It is costly to rematerialize the view each time a change is made to the base tables that might affect it. So, it is desirable to propagate the changes incrementally. Hence, all of the views cannot be materialized due to the view maintenance cost. In this paper, we have developed a dynamic cost model based on threshold level incorporating the factors like view complexity, query access frequency, execution time and update frequency of the base table to select a subset of views from a large set of views to be materialized. A number of algorithms and mathematical equations have been designed and developed to define the dynamic threshold level.
KeywordsMaterialized view View materialization Dynamic selection Query processing cost View maintenance cost
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Chen, S., Rundensteiner, E.A.: GPIVOT: Efficient Incremental Maintenance of Complex ROLAP Views. In: Proceedings of the 21st International Conference on Data Engineering (ICDE 2005), pp. 552–563 (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Rashid, A.N.M.B., Islam, M.S.: Role of Materialized View Maintenance with PIVOT and UNPIVOT Operators. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Advance Computing Conference (IACC 2009), Patiala, India, pp. 951–955 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Zhuge, Y., Molina, H.G., Hammer, J., Widom, J.: View Maintenance in a Warehousing Environment. In: Proceedings of the ACM SIGMOD Conference, San Jose, California, pp. 316–327 (1995)Google Scholar
- 9.Wang, Z., Zhang, D.: Optimal Genetic View Selection Algorithm under Space Constraint. International Journal of Information Technology 11(5), 44–51 (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Ashadevi, B., Balasubramanian, R.: Optimized Cost Effective Approach for Selection of Materialized Views in Data Warehousing. Journal of Computer Science and Technology 9(1), 21–26 (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Agrawal, R., Srikant, R.: Fast Algorithms for Mining Association Rules in Large Databases. In: Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on VLDB, Santiago, Chili, pp. 487–499 (1994)Google Scholar
- 12.Shafey, M.A.L.: Performance Evaluation of Database Design Approaches for Object Relational Data Management. M. Sc. Engg. Thesis. Institute of Information and Communication Technology, Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Dhaka (2008)Google Scholar