Public Key Cryptography Based Approach for Securing SCADA Communications
SCADA (supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) security has become a challenge in today’s scenario because of its connectivity with the world and remote access to the system. Major challenge in the SCADA systems is securing the data over the communication channel.
PKI (public key infrastructure) is an established framework to make the communication secure. SCADA systems, normally have limited bandwidth and low computation power of RTUs (Remote Terminal Units); through the customization of general PKI we can reduce its openness, frequent transfer of certificates and possibility of DOS (Denial of Service) attacks at MTUs (Master Terminal Units) and RTUs.
This paper intends for securing data over communication channel in SCADA systems and presents the novel solutions pivoted on key distribution and key management schemes.
KeywordsBroadcasting Key Distribution and Management Multicasting Broadcast Public Key Infrastructure SCADA security
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Beaver, C. L., Gallup, D.R., NeuMann, W. D., Torgerson, M.D. : Key Management for SCADA (SKE): printed at Sandia Lab (March 2002) Google Scholar
- 2.Dawson, R., Boyd, C., Dawson, E., Manuel, J., Nieto, G.: SKMA – A Key Management Architecture for SCADA Systems. In: Fourth Australasian Information Security Workshop AISW-NetSec (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Piètre-Cambacédès, L., Sitbon, P.: Cryptographic Key Management for SCADA Systems, Issues and Perspectives. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Information Security and Assurance (2008)Google Scholar
- 4.Hentea, M.: Improving Security for SCADA Control Systems: Interdisciplinary. Journal of Information, Knowledge, and Management 3 (2008)Google Scholar
- 5.Lee, S., Choi, D., Park, C., Kim, S.: An Efficient Key Management Scheme for Secure SCADA Communication. In: Proceedings Of World Academy Of Science, Engineering And Technology, vol. 35 (November 2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Wang, Y., Chu, B.-T.: sSCADA: Securing SCADA Infrastructure Communications (August 2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Paukatong, T.: SCADA Security: A New Concerning Issue of an Inhouse EGAT-SCADA: Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand, 53 Charan Sanit Wong Rd., Bang Kruai, Nonthaburi 11130, ThailandGoogle Scholar