Controlled-Precision Pure-Digital Square-Wave Frequency Synthesizer
In this paper, a new pure-digital frequency synthesizer Fout =(X/Y)∙Fin for square-waves with controlled precision is described. Given that Fin is the input reference frequency provided by a stable crystal oscillator, Fout is the synthesized frequency; X and Y are two co-prime integer numbers.
The purpose is to demonstrate that with exclusively simple digital techniques, a frequency synthesizer with high precision, fast switching time and medium frequency bandwidth can be achieved.
In conformity with design-reuse methodology, the frequency synthesizer is implemented as technology-independent and generic IP-core, easily adaptable to suit any particular need.
KeywordsPrecision Frequency Bandwidth Switching Time Double-Edge-Triggered Flip-Flops (DETFF)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Manassewitsch, V.: Frequency Synthesizers: Theory and Design. Wiley-Interscience Publisher, Hoboken (2005) ISBN: 0-471-77263-1Google Scholar
- 3.Stork, M.: Digital Fractional Frequency Synthesizer Based on Counters. Turkish Journal of Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences 14(3) (2006) TÜBITAKGoogle Scholar
- 4.Xilinx Inc., Virtex-IITM V2MB1000 Development Board User’s GuideGoogle Scholar
- 5.Keating, M., Bricaud, P.: Reuse Methodology Manual for System on a Chip Designs, 3rd edn. Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht (2002) ISBN: 1-4020-7141-8Google Scholar
- 6.Pedram, M., et al.: A New Design for Double Edge Triggered Flop-Flops. In: Proceedings of Asia and South Pacific Design Automation Conference, pp. 417–421 (February 1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Xilinx Inc., Doubling Counter/Timer Resolutions with CoolRunner-II, XAPP910 (V1.0) (October 27, 2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Oudjida, A.K., et al.: Front-End IP-Development: Basic Know How, Revue Internationale des Technologies Avancées, Algeria, vol. (20), pp. 23–30 (December 2008) ISSN 1111-0902Google Scholar