Evading Virus Detection Using Code Obfuscation
The conflict between malware authors and analysts is heating up as both are coming up with new armaments in their armory. Malware authors are employing novel sophisticated techniques like metamorphosis to thwart detection mechanisms while security professionals are budding new ways to confront them. In this paper we formally treat diverse mechanisms of making malware undetectable in general and code mutation techniques in particular. We also supported our argument where possible, through different tools and have revealed their outcome. In the end we give our methodology to make any virus undetectable using amalgamation of hex editing and metamorphic techniques.
KeywordsComputer virus Polymorphism Metamorphism Obfuscation Hex editing Virus signature
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Aycock, J.: Computer Viruses and malware, Springer Science+Business Media (2006)Google Scholar
- 3.Stamp, M.: Information Security: Principles and Practice (August 2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Walenstein, R., Mathur, M., Chouchane, R., Lakhotia, A.: The design space of metamorphic malware. In: Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Information Warfare (March 2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Borello, J., Me, L.: Code Obfuscation Techniques for Metamorphic Viruses (Feburary 2008), http://www.springerlink.com/content/233883w3r2652537
- 7.Desai, P.: Towards an Undetectable Computer Virus, Master’s thesis, San Jose State University (December 2008)Google Scholar