Header Compression for Resource and Energy Efficient IP over Tactical Data Link
Link-16 is a tactical data link for providing information including tactical data link message necessary to a command and control unit. Even though current Link-16 transmits and receives only tactical data link message, there is a desire to send many kinds of IP applications over Link-16. However, too large size of IP header decreases the transmission efficiency of IP applications over Link-16. Thus, IP header compression algorithm suitable to Link-16 is needed without loss of performance. Conventional header compression algorithms such as RFC 2507, RFC 2508 and RFC 3095 are not suitable to Link-16 because it broadcasts information with low transmission data rate. In this paper, we propose a novel IP header compression algorithm for transmitting tactical data link messages and IP application data without modification of Link-16.
KeywordsTactical Data Link Link-16 IP Header Compression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.US DoD, Network Centric Warfare Report To Congress (July 2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Jee, S.-B.: An Analysis for Efficient Appliance of TDL Protocol and IP on Link-K System. Agency of Defense Development (in Korean)Google Scholar
- 3.Wilson, W.J.: Applying Layering Principles to Legacy Systems; Link-16 as a case study. In: IEEE MILCOM 2001, pp. 526–531 (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Understanding Link-16: A Guidebook for New User, Northrop Grumman Corporation, San Diego, C.A. (September 2001)Google Scholar
- 5.EFFNET, An Introduction to IP Header Compression, Effnet White Paper (February 2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Degermark, M., Nordgren, B., Pink, S.: IP Header Compression. RFC 2507 (Feburary 1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Casner, S., Van Jacobson.: Compressing RTP/UDP/IP Headers for Low-Speed Serial Links. RFC 2508 (February 1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Bormann, C.(ed.): Robust Header Compression (ROHC). In: RFC 3095 (June 2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Woo, H.J., Kim, J.Y., Lee, M.J.: Performance analysis of Robust Header Compression over Mobile WiMAX. In: ICACT 2008, pp. 311–313 (2008)Google Scholar