Suppressing False Nagatives in Skin Segmentation
Human skin segmentation in colored images is closely related to face detection and recognition systems as preliminary required step. False negative errors degrade segmentation accuracy and therefore considered as critical problem in image segmentation. A general innovative approach for human skin segmentation that substantially suppresses false negative errors has been developed. This approach employed multi-skin models using HSV color space. Four skin color clustering models were used, namely: standard-skin model, shadow-skin model, light-skin model, and redness-skin model. The color information was used to segment skin-like regions by transforming the 3-D color space to 2-D subspace. A rule-based classifier produces four skin-maps layers. Each layer reflects its skin model. Pixel-based segmentation and region-based segmentation approaches has been combined to enhance the accuracy. The inspiring results obtained show that the suppression of false negatives is substantial and leads to better detection and recognition.
KeywordsHuman skin segmentation skin color modelling face detection HSV
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Ruiz-del-Solar, J., Verschae, R.: Skin Detection Using Neighborhood Information. In: IEEE International Conference on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition, pp. 463–468 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Juang, C.-F., Shiu, S.-J.: Using Self-Organizing Fuzzy Network With Support Vector Learning For Face Detection in Color Images. Neurocomputing 71(16-18) (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Kawato, S., Ohya, J.: Real-Time Detection of Nodding and Head-Shaking by Directly Detecting and Tracking The Between Eyes. In: IEEE International Conf. on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition, Grenoble, pp. 40–45 (2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Gomez, G.: On Selecting Colour Components For Skin Detection. In: International Conference on Pattern Recognition, vol. 2, pp. 961–964 (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Jayaram, S., Schmugge, S., Shin, M.C., Tsap, L.V.: Effect of Color Space Transformation the Illuminance Component, and Color Modeling on Skin detection. In: IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 813–818 (2004)Google Scholar
- 14.Vezhnevets, V., Sazonov, V., Andreeva, A.: A Survey on Pixel-Based Skin Color Detection Techniques. Graphicon (2003)Google Scholar
- 16.Gonzalez, R.C., Woods, R.E.: Digital Image Processing. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2002)Google Scholar
- 17.The CVL Database, http://lrv.fri.uni-lj.si/facedb.html
- 18.The LFW Database, http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/lfw/