Analysis of Effect of Different Factors on Burst Dropping Probability in Optical Burst Switching Network
With an explosive growth of the Internet, optical network seems to be the candidate solution for future high-speed backbone networks. Optical burst switching (OBS) has been proposed as promising switching technology for the next generation wavelength division multiplexing (WDM) based network. The main issue in OBS based network is to reduce burst dropping probability. We classify different factors that affect burst dropping probability based on the schemes in which they are used. Schemes are like scheduling algorithm, burst assembly and burst reservation and factors are void filling and non-void filling scheduling algorithm, burst size, burst assembly schemes, offset time and different classes of traffic. This paper studies an impact of all above mention factors on to burst dropping probability with the help of extensive simulation on NS2. Simulation results shows that, different parameter must be properly used in the network.
KeywordsWavelength division multiplexing (WDM) Optical burst switching (OBS) Scheduling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mukharjee, B.: Optical WDM Networks. Springer, Heidelberg (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Tzvetelina, B., Harry, P.: An Introduction to Optical Burst Switching. IEEE Optical Communication (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Qiao, C., Yoo, M.: Optical Burst Switching: A New Paradigm for An Optical Internet. Journal of High Speed Network 8, 69–84 (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Yuhua, C., Pramod, K. V.: Secure Optical Burst Switching: Framework and Research Directions. IEEE Communication Magazine (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.Tzvetelina, B.: Optical Burst Switching: A Survey, Technical Report, NC State University, Computer Science Department (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Wang, R., Wu, D., Fang, G.: Data Burst Statictics and Performance Analysis of Optical Burst Switching Networks with Self-Similar Traffic. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2007)Google Scholar
- 12.Karamitsos, I., Varthis, E.: A Survey of Resrvation Schemes for OBS. In: University of Aegean, Department of information and Communication Sysytems,Google Scholar
- 16.Jinhui, X., Chunming, Q., Jikai, L., Guang, X.: Efficient Channel Scheduling Algorithms in Optical Switched Networks using Geometric Technique. IEEE Journal on selected areas in Communication 22 (2004)Google Scholar