Distributed Group Communication System for Mobile Devices Based on SMS
This paper presents a group communication system for mobile devices, called DistributedGCS. Mobile communication is slow, expensive and suffers from occasional disconnections, especially when users are moving. DistributedGCS is based on SMS and enables group communication despite these restrictions. It provides all primitives needed for a chat application and handles process failures. As mobile communication is expensive, DistributedGCS is designed for small message overhead and, additionally, exploits SMS based message relaying to handle short-term disconnections. In this work, we present the group maintenance service and the multicast service of DistributedGCS. In order to distribute the overhead of failure discovery over all processes we introduce the concept of a circle of responsibility for failure detection. We discuss informally that DistributedGCS can handle the most common failures properly while keeping the message overhead very low.
KeywordsMobile Phone Mobile Device Phone Number Multicast Service Safety Message
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Amir, Y., Stanton, J.: The Spread Wide Area Group Communication System. The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore (1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Birman, K., Cooper, R.: The ISIS project: real experience with a fault tolerant programming system. In: EW 4: Proceedings of the 4th Workshop on ACM SIGOPS European Workshop, pp. 1–5. ACM Press, New York (1990)Google Scholar
- 5.Ericsson, S.: SDK 18.104.22.168 for the Java ME Platform.(2010), http://developer.sonyericsson.com/wportal/devworld/article/java-sdk-versionhistory (Online accessed October 28, 2009)
- 7.Golding, R.A.: Weak-Consistency Group Communication and Membership. PhD thesis, Santa Cruz, CA, USA (1992)Google Scholar
- 8.Horus. The Horus Project (2009), http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/Projects/HORUS/index.html
- 10.Microsystems, S.: Java ME (2009), http://java.sun.com/javame/index.jsp
- 11.Microsystems, S.: Java Wireless Toolkit (2009), http://java.sun.com/products/sjwtoolkit/
- 13.Prakash, R., Baldoni, R.: Architecture for Group Communication in Mobile Systems. In: SRDS 1998: Proceedings of the The 17th IEEE Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems, Washington, DC, USA. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (1998)Google Scholar
- 17.Seeger, C., Kemme, B., Wu, H.: SMS based Group Communication System for Mobile Devices. In: ACM Workshop on Data Engineering for Wireless and Mobile Access, vol. 9 (2010)Google Scholar
- 18.SMSGupShup. SMS Gup Shup Chat (2009), http://www.smsgupshup.com/apps_chat