Improvement Tools for NEH Based Heuristics on Permutation and Blocking Flow Shop Scheduling Problems
In this paper, two tools to improve the performance of the NEH-based heuristics for the flow shop problem with and without buffer constraints are proposed. The first tool is the use of the reversibility property of the problems considered and the second one is a new tie-breaking strategy to be use in the insertion phase of the NEH heuristic. In addition, we have analyzed the behavior of five initial solution procedures for both problems. The analysis of results confirms the effectiveness of the measures proposed and allows us to recommend the best ordering procedure for each one of the problems.
KeywordsScheduling heuristic algorithms permutation flow shop blocking flow shop
- 1.Graham, R.L., Lawler, E.L., Lenstra, J.K., Rinnooy Kan, A.H.G.: Optimization and approximation in deterministic sequencing and scheduling: A survey. In: Annals of Discrete Mathematics, pp. 5287–5326 (1979)Google Scholar
- 3.Garey, M.R., Johnson, D.S.: Computers and intractability: A guide to the theory of NP-Completness. Freeman, San Francisco (1979)Google Scholar
- 6.Framinan, J.M., Leisten, R., Ramamoorthy, B.: Different initial sequences for the heuristic of Nawaz, Enscore and Ham to minimize makespan, idletime or flowtime in the static permutation flowshop sequencing problem. International Journal of Production Research 41, 121–148 (2003)zbMATHCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Companys, R.: Métodos heurísticos en la resolución del problema del taller mecánico. Estudios Empresariales 5, 7–18 (1966)Google Scholar
- 16.Companys, R.: Note on the blocking flowshop problem. Working paper (2009), http://upcommons.upc.edu/e-prints/handle/2117/420