- 789 Downloads
We present a simple online two-way trading algorithm that exploits fluctuations in the unit price of an asset. Rather than analysing worst-case performance under some assumptions, we prove a novel, unconditional performance bound that is parameterised either by the actual dynamics of the price of the asset, or by a simplifying model thereof. The algorithm processes T prices in O(T 2) time and O(T) space, but if the employed prior density is exponential, the time requirement reduces to O(T). The result translates to the prediction with expert advice framework, and has applications in data compression and hypothesis testing.
KeywordsAsset Price Online Algorithm Local Extremum Bank Account Expert Advice
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Chen, G.H., Kao, M.Y., Lyuu, Y.D., Wong, H.K.: Optimal buy-and-hold strategies for financial markets with bounded daily returns. In: Proc. of the 31st Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, pp. 119–128. ACM, New York (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Dawid, A.P., De Rooij, S., Shafer, G., Shen, A., Vereshchagin, N., Vovk, V.: Insuring against loss of evidence in game-theoretic probability, arXiv:1005.1811Google Scholar
- 6.DeMarzo, P., Kremer, I., Mansour, Y.: Online trading algorithms and robust option pricing. In: Proc. of the 38 Annual ACM Symposium on Theory of Computing, pp. 477–486. ACM, New York (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Van Erven, T., Grünwald, P.D., De Rooij, S.: Catching up faster by switching sooner: a prequential solution to the AIC-BIC dilemma (2008) (submitted); Preprint available as arXiv:0807.1005Google Scholar
- 10.Koolen, W.M., De Rooij, S.: Combining expert advice efficiently. In: Proc. of the 21st Annual Conference on Learning Theory, pp. 275–286 (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.Shafer, G., Shen, A., Vereshchagin, N., Vovk, V.: Test martingales, Bayes factors, and p-values, arXiv:0912.4269Google Scholar
- 12.Volf, P., Willems, F.: Switching between two universal source coding algorithms. In: Proc. of the Data Compression Conference, Snowbird, Utah, pp. 491–500. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (1998)Google Scholar