Performance Evaluation of Web Information Systems
The quality of web information systems is closely related with their users’ expectations. In order to create good quality systems, web designers should understand how users perceive service quality of various performance attributes such as security, usability and information quality, and which ones they value the most. In this study, users’ service quality perceptions of two different web sites were investigated. Data were obtained from 1,900 users of web sites of a for-profit online bookstore and a not-for-profit national information center through the E-Qual Index that was administered online. Users were asked to rate to what extent each web site satisfied the 22 performance attributes included in the E-Qual Index along with the importance they attached thereto. Quadrant analysis and gap analysis were used to analyze the data to find out the strengths and weaknesses of the web sites investigated. Moreover, performance attributes that need to be improved or that were “undervalued” by the users were identified. Findings indicate that each web site satisfied more than half the performance attributes listed in the E-Qual Index. Users attached more importance to performance attributes such as ease of use, provision of timely and relevant information and safety. Findings can be used to remedy the shortcomings of each web site and improve the web service quality.
KeywordsWeb service quality E-Qual index quadrant analysis gap analysis usability information quality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 16.Barnes, S., Vidgen, R.: An Integrative Approach to the Assessment of Ecommerce Quality. The Journal of Electronic Commerce Research 3, 114–127 (2002)Google Scholar
- 17.Barnes, S., Vidgen, R.: WebQual: An Exploration of Web-site Quality. In: Proceedings of the Eighth European Conference on Information Systems (2000), http://is.lse.ac.uk/asp/aspecis/20000052.pdf
- 18.Barnes, S., Vidgen, R.: Assessing the Quality of Auction Web Sites. In: Proceedings of the Hawaii International Conference on Systems Sciences (2001), http://www.webqual.co.uk/papers/auction.pdf
- 20.Barnes, S., Vidgen, R.: Data Triangulation in Action: Using Comment Analysis to Refine Web Quality Metrics. In: Proceedings of the 13th European Conference on Information Systems (2005), http://www.webqual.co.uk/papers/comment.pdf
- 21.Soydal, İ.: Web Bilgi Sistemlerinde Hizmet Kalitesi (Service Quality of Web Information Systems). Unpublished doctoral dissertation, Hacettepe University, Ankara (2008)Google Scholar
- 22.Tonta, Y., Soydal, İ.: Service Quality of Web Information Systems. In: Katsirikou, A., Skiadas, C.H. (eds.) Qualitative and Quantitative Methods in Libraries: Theory and Applications (Proceedings of the International Conference on QQML 2009), pp. 390–397. World Scientific, London (2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Vavra, T.G.: Improving your Measurement of Customer Satisfaction: A Guide to Creating, Conducting Analyzing, and Reporting Customer Satisfaction Measurement Programs. ASQ Quality Press, Milwaukee (1997)Google Scholar
- 26.What is quadrant analysis?, http://www.people-first.com/quad.html
- 27.National Survey Research Center: Analyzing Customer Satisfaction Survey Results Using Gap Analysis, http://www.nsrc.com/services/ac_gap.html