Accurate Overlap Area Detection Using a Histogram and Multiple Closest Points
In this paper, we propose a novel ICP variant that uses a histogram in conjunction with multiple closest points to detect the overlap area between range images being registered. Tentative correspondences sharing similar distances are normally all within, or all outside, the overlap area. Thus, the overlap area can be detected in a bin by bin batch manner using a histogram. Using multiple closest points is likely to enlarge the distance difference for tentative correspondences in the histogram, and pull together the images being registered, facilitating the overlap area detection. Our experimental results based on real range images show that the performance of our proposed algorithm enhances the state of the art.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Besl, P.J., McKay, N.D.: A method for registration of 3D shapes. IEEE Trans. PAMI 14, 239–256 (1992)Google Scholar
- 6.Dinh, H.Q., Kropac, S.: Multi-resolution spin images. In: Proc. CVPR, pp. 863–870 (2006)Google Scholar
- 13.Marquez, M.R.G., Wu, S.-T.: Using simplified meshes for crude registration of two partially overlapping range images. In: WSCG, pp. 183–190 (2007)Google Scholar
- 15.Phillips, J.M., Liu, R., Tomasi, C.: Outlier robust ICP for minimizing fractional RMSD. In: Proc. 3DIM, pp. 427–434 (2007)Google Scholar
- 16.Pulli, K.: Multiview registration for large data sets. In: Proc. 3DIM, pp. 160–168 (1999)Google Scholar
- 19.Sharp, G.C., Lee, S.W., Wehe, D.K.: Maximum-likelihood registration of range images with missing data. IEEE Trans. PAMI 30, 120–130 (2008)Google Scholar
- 20.Silva, L., Bellon, O.R.P., Boyer, K.L.: Precision range image registration using a robust surface interpenetration measure and enhanced genetic algorithms. IEEE Trans. PAMI 27, 762–776 (2005)Google Scholar
- 21.Wang, F., et al.: Groupwise point pattern registration using a novel CDF-based Jensen-Shannon divergence. In: Proc. CVPR, pp. 1283–1288 (2006)Google Scholar