Design and Evaluation of a Socket Emulator for Publish/Subscribe Networks
In order for a Future Internet architecture to be globally deployed, it must ensure that existing applications will continue to operate efficiently on top of it. As part of the Publish Subscribe Internet Routing Paradigm (PSIRP) project, we have explored various options for making endpoint centric applications based on the Sockets Application Programming Interface (API) compatible with the information centric PSIRP prototype implementation. We developed an emulator that mediates between the client/server socket calls and the publish/subscribe PSIRP calls, transforming the exchange of packets to distribution of publications. To assess the overhead of our emulator, we measure the execution time of a simple file transfer application in native socket mode, in emulated socket mode and in native publish/subscribe mode.
KeywordsTCP/IP Sockets Publish/Subscribe PSIRP
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Comer, D., Lin, J.: TCP buffering and performance over an ATM network. Internetworking: Research and Experience 6(1), 1–13 (1995)Google Scholar
- 2.Fotiou, N., Polyzos, G., Trossen, D.: Illustrating a publish-subscribe Internet architecture. In: Proc. of the 2nd Euro-NF Workshop on Future Internet Architectures (June 2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Jacobson, V., Smetters, D., Thornton, J., Plass, M., Briggs, N., Braynard, N.: Networking Named Content. In: Proc. of the ACM CoNEXT. pp. 1–12 (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Jokela, P., Tuonnonen, J.: Progress report and evaluation of implemented upper and lower layer. PSIRP Deliverable 3.3 (June 2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Karagiannis, T., Rodriguez, P., Papagiannaki, K.: Should Internet service providers fear peer-assisted content distribution? In: Proc. of the Internet Measurement Conference (IMC), pp. 63–76 (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Sollins, K.: The TFTP protocol (revision 2). RFC 1350 (July 1992)Google Scholar
- 7.Stevens, W.R.: UNIX Network Programming: Networking APIs, 2nd edn., vol. 1. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (1998)Google Scholar