Synchronization of Boolean Dynamical Systems: A Spectral Characterization
In this paper a spectral characterization of the synchronization property of Boolean dynamical systems is provided. Conditions on the spectrum of the next-state function are derived for two systems coupled in a unidirectional way - also called master-slave configuration - to guarantee self-synchronization. Two kinds of self-synchronization are discussed: the statistical one and the finite one. Next, some conditions are stated for a specific input sequence to allow the system to be self-synchronizing. Some of the results are based on the notion of influence of variables, a notion that is extended to vectorial Boolean functions for the purpose of the paper. A potential application to cryptography is finally given.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Boolean Functions for Cryptography and Error-Correcting Codes. In: Boolean Models and Methods in Mathematics, Computer Science, and Engineering. Cambridge Press (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Vectorial Boolean Functions for Cryptography. In: Boolean Models and Methods in Mathematics, Computer Science, and Engineering. Cambridge Press (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Kahn, J., Kalai, G., Linial, N.: The influence of variables on boolean functions. In: SFCS 1988: Proceedings of the 29th Annual Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science, Washington, DC, USA, pp. 68–80. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (1988)Google Scholar
- 4.Kindler, G., Safra, S.: Noise-resistant boolean-functions are juntas (2003), http://www.math.tau.ac.il/~safra/PapersAndTalks/nibfj.ps
- 6.Daemen, J., Paris, K.: The self-synchronzing stream cipher moustique. Technical report, e-Stream Project (2006), http://www.ecrypt.eu.org/stream/p3ciphers/mosquito/mosquito_p3.pdf
- 7.Daemen, J., Lano, J., Preneel, B.: Chosen ciphertext attack on sss. eSTREAM, ECRYPT Stream Cipher Project, Report 2005/044 (June 2005), http://www.ecrypt.eu.org/stream/papers.html/044.pdf
- 8.Millérioux, G., Guillot, P., Amigó, J.M., Daafouz, J.: Flat dynamical systems and self-synchronizing stream ciphers (2008), http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/docs/00/33/18/33/PDF/FlatDS_SSSC.pdf
- 9.Millérioux, G., Guillot, P.: Self-synchronizing stream ciphers and dynamical systems: state of the art and open issues. International Journal of Bifurcation and Chaos 20(9) (September 2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Maurer, U.M.: New approaches to the design of self-synchronizing stream cipher. In: Davies, D.W. (ed.) EUROCRYPT 1991. LNCS, vol. 547, pp. 458–471. Springer, Heidelberg (1991)Google Scholar
- 11.Keller, N.: On the influence of variables on boolean functions in product spaces (May 2009), http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/arxiv/pdf/0905/0905.4216v1.pdf